Ryobi, why no demand for it?

I dunno. I bought a Ryobi 3/8" corded drill -- a refurb, no less -- at one of those travelling tool sales. I got it to replace a highly-rated Bosch that died after about a year. The Ryobi has been going strong for eight or ten years now, despite some pretty serious tool abuse. At the same sale, I got a 3X21 Ryobi belt sander. It's still going strong, too. I recently bought a Ryobi 5" random orbital sander. Doesn't orbit any more, and has only seen limited use. Maybe there's some truth to the notion that Ryobi ten years ago was a better brand than it is today. My limited experience suggests that. Lewis

Reply to
Lewis

I think that is my philosophy--get the highest quality tool possible or don't buy at all. Actually I have one Ryobi power tool that has stood the test of time, a 3x21" belt sander now on its 18th year of use that just won't quit. The flat top allows it to rest on the bench to easily sand small pieces and the ends of dowels. It also has a speed control. I would not buy a Ryobi drill, saw, or other Ryobi cordless tool that I have seen as I've seen much better choices. But, brands can (and do) change quality over time.

Reply to
Phisherman

As does mine (and a fair amount of hearsay, as well)...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Marketing?? Is that the same as BS?

Reply to
Rick Samuel

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 19:48:45 GMT, "BillyBob" calmly ranted:

I've beat the crap out of the 14.4v Ryobi drill motor for the past 3 years, almost daily use, and it's still going strong. The only fallouts I've had are the batteries. Replacements are $35, less than half what DeWally gets. I'm still satisfied with my $112 purchase. (Ryobi drill motor, charger, 2 batteries, cordless skil saw, and a ratty, blowmold, plastic case for $99.95 + s/h from the Borg.)

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well... If you take the BS, dry it, spray paint it gold, mount it on a plaque, call it "Meadow Muffins" and sell it for $24.95, then yes, it's very similar indeed.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Adams

Well, I would rather have a used Dewalt, PC, Milwaukee than a new Ryobi anyday. It goes back to buying quality, something Ryobi is not known for.

Reply to
bob

Same here. Kids bought me a 14.4v Ryobi trim saw/drill combo for Father's Day a few years ago. I took the saw (less than a year old at the time) and two fully charged batteries to a local place where I buy baltic birch. I needed to rip 2 sheets of 1/2" baltic so they would fit in the SUV. I am not making this up - the trim saw cut exactly 2 feet on each battery before dying. A sheet of baltic is 5' long. Fortunately, the yard had a hand saw that I could finish the cut with.

I was at the same yard two days ago with my almost new Milwaukee 18v trim saw and two batteries. I bought four sheets of 1/2" baltic. The Milwaukee breezed right through all four cuts with plenty of battery to spare.

It boils down to buying quality tools. A used quality tool is better than a new, cheap tool.

I still have the Ryobi set and will let it go for a song.

Reply to
bob

Um, we're discussing cordless Ryobi tools.......

Reply to
bob

When I think back on all the crap I?ve learned in highschool It?s a wonder I can think at all Though my lack of education hasn?t hurt me much I can read the writings on the walls

Chorus: Kodachrome, they give us those nice bright colours They give us the greens of summers Makes you think all the world?s a sunny day, oh yeah I got a nikon camera, I love to take a photograph So mama don?t take my kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew when I was single Brought ?em all together for one night I know they?d never match my sweet imagination Everything looks better in black and white

Chorus

Mama don?t take my kodachrome away, mama don?t take my kodachrome away Mama don?t take my kodachrome away

Mama don?t take my kodachrome, mama don?t take my kodachrome Mama don?t take my kodachrome away Mama don?t take my kodachrome and leave your boy so far from home Mama don?t take my kodachrome away Mama don?t take my kodachrome, whew whew, mama don?t take my kodachrome away

Will pay shipping. Remove dot mapson for e-mail. :)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Snip

sorry, not a song. simply lyrics... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

DANG!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

============ Easy....

Stock HP was only 180 ...(It is a L48 not the 210 HP L-82) and it always could lay rubber in 1st,2nd,3rd and chirp the tires in

4th...

BUT it is NOWHERE near stock anymore... AND I get lots of smiles per mile out of it and that is all that counts...

Bob

Reply to
Bob G.

Heck my old 72 Vega would chirp the tires going into 3rd. I have an old friend that I grew up with. When we were in our late teens he had a 70 Firebird. We tinkered with it a bit. Oddly a 3 speed floor shift. He broke his leg so he used his crutch to push on the gas and right foot on the clutch to get going from a stop. After that he use his right foot on the gas and could the tires loose shifting into 2nd and top gear with out the clutch.

Reply to
Leon

=============== Opps almost forgot.... The 76 was the last Corvette to Carry the "word" Stingray on her fenders.... Bob

Reply to
Bob G.

I went through the same thing with the same Ryobi drill about 4 years ago. I bought a Dewalt for the same price as two replacement ryobi batteries and it's still going strong!

-Keith

Reply to
Keith