Ryobi TEK 4 ??

I was in Home Depot over the weekend and saw an end display for new Ryobi TEK4 products.

What the hell are they doing?

I guess failing at improved quality control and customer service they have decided to start marketing everything. Cameras, cell phone chargers, cute flashlightes (yeah, we need more of those in the world), multimeters......

The end cap looked like an ad for Harbor Freight or Craftsman.

Oh Well.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Ryobi has always been junk. Junk selling more junk, yes just what the Weekend Warrior needs!!!

Reply to
Evodawg

On the other hand, it's not a bad concept--a range of consumer products that use the same lithium-ion battery pack. Same idea as modern cordless power tools but in another area. Whether the market will find it brilliant or a dud remains to be seen. They really ought to make the battery and connectors a royalty-free standard though so anybody can get in the game--I don't think their own products are good enough to grow the market.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Not true. It may well be junk now, but my ancient Ryobi AP10 planer is still going strong. And I know a few other woodworkers who can say the same.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Several weeks back when someone posted that HD had the TEK 4 system at half price (plus free shipping) on their website I jumped on it. Went straight to the shooting range with the ear muffs. They worked like a charm. The flashlight is one of the brighter ones that I've owned, not to mention how compact it is. The tin snips cut flashing with no problem. Haven't tried the screw gun nor have I tried charging my cell phone with the universal charger gizmo. $53 and change. What can you lose?

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

Reply to
RonB

Not really. They have migrated toward lower quality and poor customer support during the past 10-15 years.

My Ryobi 12-5/15" surface planer is a work horse that has handled a fair amount of 12" wide 8/4 oak as well as thousands of bf of other hardwoods over a period of about 13 to 15 years.. It's predecessor,the AP-10 is legendary for performance and durability. I did replace a sprocket a while back but otherwise a strong performer with no issues. However, Ryobi has a habit of leaving their customers high and dry on common replacement parts -- LIKE $%&# PLANER KNIVES! I was paying around $17 / set for Ryobi knives. After they discontinued them the aftermarket replacement price was in the $60-75 range. Luckily a Delta 12-1/2" knife is interchangeable or I might have had to replace the tool as it aged. I have an old Ryobi angle grinder that just keeps going and going.

The newer routers aren't even throw-aways. They are "throw at the wall" when the depth changes mid course screws up another piece of hardwood or a project.

My main point with the original post was the array of stuff displayed at HD did not appear to be quality merchandise--just stuff. The camera is aimed at job-site use but you can tell from picking it up that it is chintzy. A decent WalMart canon would outlast it at less $. They are entering the Sears/Craftsman market with gimmicks, whiz- bang and stuff.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

The first Ryobi product that I recall being panned was their bench top reciprocating spindle sander from the early 90's. Here in rec.woodworking, it really got blasted. Later, it was reported that they'd cured the breakage issue (spindle up-down movement broke), but from then on I saw a lot of anti-Ryobi comments.

Reply to
Nonny

Actually it is decent stuff. I have their head phones and they are quite nice compaired to my previous pair of noise canceling ones. BTY the TEK4 has been out at least 6 months.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah I still have my AP10 that I bought new in 1988 IIRC. I think Ryobi was pretty good when tool stores sold the stuff but not much after HD started marketing it exclusively.

Reply to
Leon

I saw the display on my last outing to HD. While most of the stuff I wouldn't use, I wouldn't call it junk either. It seemed decent. The camera is water resistant and if IRC, drop proof at 20 ft. Some of the stuff is a mystery as to why they made it. I am scratching my head on the multimeter and MP3 player.

I didn't pay as close of attention to that as I was looking more at the Milwaukee display of some of their new stuff. I really like the new right angle drill they have and I would like to bring home the new miter saw if it wasn't the price of an entry level cabinet saw.

I do own a Ryobi benchtop bandsaw that I use primarily for circles and it has been fine except for a blade wandering issue that was due to operator error. It isn't the greatest but it does it's job.

Allen

Reply to
allen476

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:59:34 -0800, the infamous Evodawg scrawled the following:

I picked up a Ryobi kit when I moved up here to OR in '02. I've gone through 3 batteries (on the 4th now) and the drill motor just keeps on kickin'. The 6-1/2" saw is a great little unit, but it sucks batteries like a the Obamites suck money out of the treasury, or like a Hooverized vampire on steroids. The only problem I've had with it is the batteries, and I jsut got a new battery made from better cells, so that problem should be over, too.

I picked up a lightweight contractor's saw (Ryobi BTS10s) for $120. The fence sucks the big one, but it's good enough for my use on site. If I have to rip something, I'll use a second clamp to keep the fence from sliding all over the place.

I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of both sets and can't complain much. Call me a happy user.

Other than having broken the laser pointer off the first day I used it, I love my HF 12" SCMS, too.

If you don't like your Ryobi or HF power tools, send 'em to me. If I like 'em, I might even kick the shipping back to you.

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's a web site for the BT3000 saw that has some stuff on the other models and may have articles appropriate to yours. The article on shim replacement is priceless!

LDosser