Ryobi Spindle sander - Help

Can someone tell me how do you change the spindle on it?
I took off the top nut and washer - but the rubber spindle does not seem to move. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks Rob
You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
remove _ to get the correct address
Rob, Once you take off the top nut and washer, just pull the rubber sleeve off the spindle. The spindle itself is fixed.
gary a

sounds like the drum is distorted. I always loosen the drum when I am done with the sander on my BOSS Tony D.

Thanks for the info. I picked it upi at an auction the other day - some brain surgen decided to glue sand paper right to the spindle.
So there was no rubber sleve. Tnx

Oh OK, looks like you will have to figure out how to remove the spindle and take it to a wire wheel. I guess that's what your asking; how to remove the spindle? Unless you could get some type of portable wire wheel in there, or maybe one of those gasket removing/de-burring wheels on a right angle die grinder. Sorry about the 3X post, I would not get out of the out-box, so I guess I sent it 2 more times. Tony

razor blade time....
Yea, or maybe you could cut most of it off ,then use the rotation of the spindle with some sandpaper to further clean it up. Thanks, Tony D.

He glued a sandpaper sleeve to the metal spindle???
fyi: if you get it fixed, it looks like the sleeves for the Delta BOSS will fit, if you can find Ryobi parts at HD.
far out! he probably could not figure out how to tighten the nut down to compress the rubber so the sand paper would hold
Rob V wrote:

sounds like the drum is distorted. I always loosen the drum when I am done with the sander on my BOSS Tony D.

sounds like the drum is distorted. I always loosen the drum when I am done with the sander on my BOSS Tony D.

Hi Rob,
I have this spindle sander myself and haven't had really much problem changing spindles. I'm not sure if you have the manual or not, but if not you can download it from ryobi's tool website.
In short, there is a metal spindle and then a rubber spindle, THEN the sandpaper. You have to remove the nut and washer on top of the rubber/sandpaper assembly to remove any expansion on the rubber spindle, which is how the sandpaper is held in place. I do find it a little difficult at times to get the sandpaper off of the rubber spindle. The manual actually says to add a little talcum powder before putting the sandpaper on to ease this. I haven't tried that yet, but might in the future.
If the previous owner really did glue the paper to the rubber spindle, I'm not sure how you're going to get it off without ruining the rubber spindle. What a knucklehead if he/she did that.
Anyway, hope this helps.
Mike

Sounds like someone glued it right to the metal spindle shaft. Not the rubber drum?
**********"I picked it up at an auction the other day - some brain surgeon decided to glue sand paper right to the spindle. So there was no rubber sleeve."**************
As far as getting the sandpaper off of the rubber spindle, I have also heard of putting the drum in the freezer for a while, and that will shrink the rubber drum, allowing easier removal of the sand-paper sleeve. Tony

I think the smallest diameter sanding sleeve is meant to go directly on the metal spindle without a rubber sleeve. Perhaps it is just stuck - not glued. John
Anthony Diodati wrote:

this is indeed the case. It's hard to imagine someone would glue a sleeve directly to the metal spindle, but you never know, I guess.
Mike