Ryobi Spindle sander - Help

Can someone tell me how do you change the spindle on it?

I took off the top nut and washer - but the rubber spindle does not seem to move. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Rob

You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m

remove _ to get the correct address

Reply to
Rob V

Rob, Once you take off the top nut and washer, just pull the rubber sleeve off the spindle. The spindle itself is fixed.

gary a

Reply to
Gary

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Thanks for the info. I picked it upi at an auction the other day - some brain surgen decided to glue sand paper right to the spindle.

So there was no rubber sleve. Tnx

Reply to
Rob V

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

razor blade time....

Reply to
Bridger

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Hi Rob,

I have this spindle sander myself and haven't had really much problem changing spindles. I'm not sure if you have the manual or not, but if not you can download it from ryobi's tool website.

In short, there is a metal spindle and then a rubber spindle, THEN the sandpaper. You have to remove the nut and washer on top of the rubber/sandpaper assembly to remove any expansion on the rubber spindle, which is how the sandpaper is held in place. I do find it a little difficult at times to get the sandpaper off of the rubber spindle. The manual actually says to add a little talcum powder before putting the sandpaper on to ease this. I haven't tried that yet, but might in the future.

If the previous owner really did glue the paper to the rubber spindle, I'm not sure how you're going to get it off without ruining the rubber spindle. What a knucklehead if he/she did that.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

He glued a sandpaper sleeve to the metal spindle???

fyi: if you get it fixed, it looks like the sleeves for the Delta BOSS will fit, if you can find Ryobi parts at HD.

Reply to
mttt

Sounds like someone glued it right to the metal spindle shaft. Not the rubber drum?

**********"I picked it up at an auction the other day - some brain surgeon decided to glue sand paper right to the spindle. So there was no rubber sleeve."**************

As far as getting the sandpaper off of the rubber spindle, I have also heard of putting the drum in the freezer for a while, and that will shrink the rubber drum, allowing easier removal of the sand-paper sleeve. Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Reply to
John Siegel

this is indeed the case. It's hard to imagine someone would glue a sleeve directly to the metal spindle, but you never know, I guess.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

far out! he probably could not figure out how to tighten the nut down to compress the rubber so the sand paper would hold

Rob V wrote:

Reply to
william kossack