RYOBI Router / Router Table Combo Kit

I am considering the RYOBI Router / Router Table Combo Kit from Home Depot in Canada. Any comments. From what I can see the table is very sturdy. The router is single speed fixed base 1.5 HP.
http://www.ryobitools.com/product/product.asp?prodid $7&prodcat=2&toolcat=5
snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

http://www.ryobitools.com/product/product.asp?prodid $7&prodcat=2&toolcat=5 I have a Sears router which it made by Ryobi. I see two different answers depending on weather your a glass half full or glass half empty kind of person.
Glass half empty: The one wrench bit collet wore out in six months, I have to lay the router on its side and smack the lock with my palm to get it to move making changing bits difficult. The depth lock has worn out so it won't stay locked at the height you set it. The clear plastic see through part fell off so many times its latch wore off so I tossed it (I use safety glasses anyway). The cheap wrench that came with it has started to wear in the center so I have to use a real wrench now to change the bits. The threaded rod for the depth stop keeps coming back out of the baseplate even with loc-tite and the lock nuts have buggered up corners from the wrench starting to slip. I have had to buy some extra wood for the parts that got messed up when the height stop nuts came loose (since I have to use them to hold the height since the stop wore out). Its a tool that is not meant to be used very much, must be mostly to put on a shelf so you can tell the guys at work you have a router and they don't. Glass half full type of person: Despite its problems I've managed to make a few nice things with it. But what I have learned is what to look for when I get the $ to buy a real router and I didn't ruin an expensive accurate one when I dropped it off the bench that time (it broke the speed control knob but it was useless anyway, it cut just as bad at any speed).

That is an amazing story. If it is any consolation, my Bosch switch broke after 6 months.
The vendor gave me a replacement and let me keep the old one for my router table. (Still can't figure that one out, but I am grateful.)
I am a beginner (with a router) never used one before. I just got the woodworking bug a few months ago when my wife bought me a cheap delta TS. I learned how to use it by building a plywood stand for it.
I won't be using the router day in and day out and will use it to do round overs and making small projects like mailboxes maybe making some mortise and tenons once in a while for small table projects.
This RYOBI unit looks like a quality entry level unit and the table looks and feels quite sturdy. It has a starter pin good fence etc.

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

My Sears/Ryobi router looked and felt sturdy, but there is a reason that they cost less than a PC/Dewalt/Makita/Etc.Itreallydependsonhowbad your bug is.IfyourbuyingonetoseeifyoulikeanwanttodoWW'ing then the cheap stuff will do.IfyoualreadyknowyouwanttodoWW'ing and have already made a list of a half dozen or so projects then save the $ and buy a better one or you will be in the same situation I am in wishing I had the money back that I spent on this one so I could buy a better one because the mistakes I made with this one when the height stop slipped and the mortise went all the way through then wood for example, wasted more time and money and caused some frustration.
On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:32:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

Ryobi made a good router once. they discontinued it a few years ago. the router you have will likely start falling apart soon. if ya just bought it, take it back. there are better entry level machines. me, I'd be looking at used porter cable 690 or hitachi m12v.
hey, the very first thing you should do is click on over to http://www.patwarner.com /
Made by XYZ to SEARS specs!

As the owner of a couple of Ryobi tools, I recommend DON'T do it. -- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
From my short experience I have found cast aluminum tends to leave dark streaks on the wood. Perhaps a good coat of paste wax will help with that. The router has to be better than the 2hp plunge Black and Decker one I have. No fine adjustments and it's a real PITA to set up. I bought it when I didn"t know any better and as soon as I have the money saved up will be buying another.
Rick
--
webservant for

Web design for churches http://www.gibs-web.ca
On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:40:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

It all depends on what you want to do with it. This is obviously an economical choice and you'll have to live with a 1/4" collet only, the fixed speed, no to say that it's not a heavy duty router.
I don't know how much it sells for but I would beleive you would better served with a basic Bosch or Porter-Cable router installed in a homemade table.
Wally