Ryobi Planer - AP 10

Page 2 of 2
I think I remember seeing a Ryobi bench top model at Home Depot today for about $239.
The DeWalt was $399.
Kimosabe wrote:

Ryobi $180 at Amazon: (Amazon.com product link shortened)19HML0CVO0HP&tagaltmp4800-20&linkCode=asn&creative95105&creativeASIN00W8OVAU

Cheaper and wider! I really appreciate all the input.
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 05:02:46 -0800, lzoto wrote:

Read this review before you get carried away :-).
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)- ZRAP1301/product-reviews/B000W8OVAU/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt_sr_1? ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBydOneStar>

Yeah. And I would also say Whhooooooaa there pardner!. The newer 1300/1301 Ryobi's are not even a shadow of the old 10" machine you originally posted. As mentioned in my earlier post I just passed my old 12-1/2" Ryobi on to our son. My old machine was a close cousin to the 10" Ryobi at least in weight and quality - IOW - built like a tank. I have seen the new ones in HD and they are cheaply made stuff. "Stuff" is better than what I was thinking. Ryobi's overall quality and reputation have slid during the past 10-15 years on most stuff except maybe their battery operated drills. In fact I don't even believe that all of the new planers have infeed/outfeed tables.
I said earlier that the 10" 'er was probably priced too high. But I would go with it before this one. As the reviews Larry posted shows there were three opinions. Stinks, Middle Top. What do you conclude from that? At least one guy wanted to justify his purchase. The other too were not that happy :^&}
BTW, my neighbor has owned one of the Rigid 3-knifers for a while, and he uses it a fair amount. Loves it. The reason I mention it is it showed up at the bottom of the Amazon page Larry linked.
RonB

I bought one in 1988 and finally sold it in a garage sale earlier this year. I stepped up to a 15" stationary unit. You have IIRC the "Original" bench top planer. It is almost bullet proof. It does have certain problems that were common back then and with less expensive planers today. Snipe can be an issue and it is limited to 10". I would think that if you can rotate the cutter head by hand it will run just fine.

That is a pretty good machine, almost legendary. I owned its younger cousin the 12-1/4" machine for about 13-15 years and just passed it on to our son after I bought a heavier duty 15" planer.
But..... $200 seems high even if it is "new". Are you certain it is new and not just cleaned up and in the box again. If truly new, and you don't think you will want to plane wider stock it might be ok in the $150-200 range but there are a lot of wider planers out there now.
RonB