Ryobi Planer - AP 10

Page 1 of 2
I have come across a new in the box planer from 1985 that has never been opened. I am wondering if not having been run all these years could be an issue. Any other info on the planer would be helpful.

One common issue is old lube. Sometimes it'll set up and be more like glue than lubrication. Don't take the planer apart more than you have to, but check that the accessible parts move freely and aren't stuck in place.
When testing electronics for the first time, I like to use a power strip with an on/off switch. I turn the device on from the power strip and if anything goes wrong my thumb is still on the switch to shut power off immediately.
Puckdropper

lzoto wrote:

If everything moves freely by hand, you should be okay.
Then, give it the old "smoke test" - turn it on and see if it smokes.
I just picked up a used one - it's my first and it works swell. The first time you use it, do so in the driveway. The think makes an unbelievable amount of shavings. Incredible. Absolutely amazing. So much so that one of my cats who was watching the experiement, ambled off shaking his head.
You can get an aftermarket shaving collector into which you can plug your dust collector with really good results.

Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something inexpensive and small.

Careful... Once you see how much better consistent thickness boards look and assemble, you'll begin every project with the planer. Since I got my planer, the only thing I've put together without dimensioning first has been one-off jigs and things where it doesn't matter how thick the boards are.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

Good idea! And a provident use for a tool that spends most of its time waiting to be of service.

Talk him down to $100 and you have yourself a deal. I got a lightly used Griz 13" planer for that and it came with an extra set of blades.
I don't feel it's worth $200. YMMV?
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling
lzoto wrote:

Hmm. I got mine for $100 from a Craigslist ad. Admittedly, I had been monitoring CL for a couple of months 'til I found this low-priced item.
In my case, patience paid off. Your needs may vary.

Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something inexpensive and small.
FWIW I, 22 years ago I paid $289. I would not pay more than $50-$75 for it. There are way too many alternatives on the market today, for a little bit more money they will come with a warranty and many more features.

IIRC, Home Depot recently had the DeWalt DW735 on sale for something like $275.
Better deals are out there. I agree: for less than $100 ... I might get the Ryobi ... but at $200 ??
I'd be doing that cat-shaking-head-while-walking-away thing.

How recent was that? My DW735 was $535, and I thought I got a pretty decent deal on it.
Puckdropper

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:28:56 -0800, lzoto wrote:

That seems high to me. I think $100 would be a fair price. Yes, it's "new", but the newer planers are wider, snipe less, have better dust collection, more power, etc..
That said, I've got one I bought in the '80s and it's still running. So it is a good quality tool. I've heard the current Ryobi tools aren't what they used to be.
I recently bought a small thickness planer and now use it for the final 32nd of an inch or so - the AP10, like any planer, will cause a little tearout on some woods and the sanding gets rid of that.

I thought it should be $100 or less, but I have to say that I am attracted to it's age. Despite the bells and whistles you get with newer products, the quality of the individual parts, including the grade of steel they used back then, were far superior.
lzoto wrote:

newer products, the quality of the individual parts, including the grade of steel they used back then, were far superior. ----------------------------------- Whether you spend $100 or $200 is moot in the overall scheme of things, if the planer is a functioning device.
I had an AP10 until someone decided they needed it more than I did.
It always did a good job for me.
If you budget does not support the $500-$600 investment current bench top planers require, then cut a deal for what ever price you can and start using you new AP10.
A year from now, the price paid won't matter.
Lew

I thought it should be $100 or less, but I have to say that I am attracted to it's age. Despite the bells and whistles you get with newer products, the quality of the individual parts, including the grade of steel they used back then, were far superior.
Well, when the smoke clears it is still a Ryobi, one of their best products as far as I am convcerned but the age attraction is not necessirily a good thing if you can no longer get parts for it. The rubber cutter head drive belt might be in a bit dry after 25 years and you may not be able to find a replacement. It was well build however, it had a point to prove.

Good point and also check the availability of knives. I am fairly sure you can get parts for it from eReplacementParts.com. I also know of a source in Wichita, KS that will sell Ryobi parts at a very reasonable price; and they don't inflate their shipping and handling. But their knives are also high (below).
During the past few years Ryobi has been slipping and their customer support has gotten worse. When I bought my 12-1/4" machine knives were about $15-18. A few years later they dropped them as a spare part and aftermarkets were selling in the $60-90 range. That, plus the age of the machine, was presenting me with a keep or buy decision. Luckily, for me, Delta sells a set of knives for their 12-1/2" machine that fit fine.
RonB

box from the same error. I am waiting for a price on that one.

I'm starting to get a baaaaad feeling from this...
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Why? I figured some elderly relative left him stuff.

Or he figures he has a live one and he's just upped the ante to keep you on the hook.
Allowing that Larry is correct, there are a number of possibilities that come to mind and all of them are ...........unpleasant.