Ryobi hammer drill query

Hi, here in the UK I recently bought a Ryobi CDI-1441 hammer drill/drill set. The hammer drill has a yellow torque ring with positions labelled 1-24, where 23 shows a drill symbol and 24 a hammer symbol.
However I can't seem to turn the ring past 23 to get to the hammer setting! Is there a knack to this, or a button to depress or something?
Any help appreciated. The manual is no use at all.
Change red to blue in email address when replying

try rotating the chuck a little by hand as you turn the ring
Try turning the ring the other direction, past the zero or one, to 24. I don't have that particular model, but i seem to recall using someone else's drill and having the same dilemma --dave

Dave Jackson wrote:

I tried both these suggestions, thanks for them, but still no luck. Any other ideas?
My next port of call is to go to a big DIY store and fiddle with the ones on display!
Change red to blue in email address when replying