Ryobi drill followup

In December of 2002 I bought a Ryobi 14.4V cordless drill. The price was very good, the size and weight were nice for what my needs are. I was quite satisfied with it.
So, 16 months later why am I posting a follow-up? Because the drill is already starting to deteriorate. The batteries, fully charged, cannot sit a week and drill more than a couple of holes or drive more than a few screws.
The drill is allegedly variable speed. It was when new, but now has only two, slow and full. You pull the trigger back and it goes slow. As you pull it back more, it should increase in speed, but it does not. As you get to the end, it goes to full speed.
There are no cheap tools. Ed
I've had the Ryobi 18V drill for a couple of years. The drill works great. The batteries last a long time. It gets frequent use on many serious jobs. In comparing the cost to other brands, I'm very happy with the Ryobi.
Dick

I have a 12 volt one that I have had for longer than I can recall, probably at least 12 years, maybe more. Not too long ago I loaned it to a neighbor to assemble a computer desk and they ran the battery down too low and it never would take a charge after that. NICAD's are funny, you can't charge them too soon or run them too low. RM~
PS, The above drill was not in constant use, only on occasion which probably accounts for the longevity but it's still working great on one battery. I also purchased a new 18 volt Ryobi, hope it serves as well but don't think it's quite as sturdily made as the old one.
Well, apparently the 14.4v are crap and the 18v are great. My 18v is about three years old, used pretty heavily. The battery lasts forever.
I'm wondering if maybe the chargers are different. Chargers and how the NiCad batteries are cared for and charged make a huge difference in how long they live.
Layne

My 14.4 been working like a trojan for over 2 years.
Layne wrote:

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Did you get the photos at Smith & Hawkins or the Besseys at HD?
Rich
Got the info on the lounge. I can do better construction wise. I was really disappointed at what I saw for $1100. I guess people will buy them though.
I was not sure where the HD store was and ended up getting or Rt 2 and passed it. Weather was crappy at that point so I did not bother turning around. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
We bought 4 for the shop. Completely abused daily. 4 years later they still work. I have 8 Dewalts and one Deawlt Jigsaw with dead batteries. They all died 13-16 months after purchase. What crp.

Mon, Apr 26, 2004, 3:27pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (EdwinPawlowski) laments: <snip> So, 16 months later why am I posting a follow-up? Because thedrill is already starting to deteriorate. <snip>
Gee, I used my almost 30 years old B&D drill for the first time in some weeks. Worked perfect. Batteries not down a bit. Maybe that was because it's corded. LOL I wouldn't use a battery tool as long as a power cord is available. My two sons use DeWalt battery tools, but they work every day in places where there's no power, so it's a necessity with them. If they had power, they'd use corded tools. For what it's worth, everyone they know, that has to use battery tools in their work, swears by DeWalt, over the other brands.
JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. - Phil Pastoret