Ryobi BT 3100

Greetings! Any opinions regarding the Ryobi BT3100 Table Saw?
I DAGS, and seem to have found that about half the worlsd hates it, and the other half likes it. No help there. So I thought I'd turn to "the group", and see if any of you have any experience with it, or opinions to share.
Why? A friend has offerd his to me, at about half the cost new ($150 to me). He's moving to an apartment, and has no home for it anymore! :( *He* liked it, but he also had NO other reference point. Any opinions would be appreciated.
AtDhVaAnNkCsE, Hal
On 19 Jul 2005 15:06:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@rivergod.com wrote:

I'm reasonably fond of mine, but I wouldn't buy it again as my only table saw. The lack of a fixed miter-slot is *not* made up for by the sliding table. For $150, though, I might buy another one and fix it up as a dual saw with the one I have. :) PK
I don't know too much about this saw but I've got to believe it's worth $150 if you need a saw and have none. This is the only saw that I know of that has it's own newgroup. Can't remember where it is but there is a big user community and they have a newsgroup somewhere.
I'll bet you could buy it and sell it in that group for $200.
BW
I have had a BT3000 for fifteen years. It does the job, it is easy to get repair parts when it breaks. The fence and table have a little more play than I would like. I have also missed having a mitre slot but there are work arounds. For $150 it will provide a good beginning to your workshop. Although I could replace it with a better table saw now, I won't bother. I find I use my bandsaw for a lot of sawing tasks that I used to do on the table saw. I use hand saws for other tasks. However, when I want to make parallel cuts, like when I am squaring up a board, a table saw it hard to beat, even a BT3100.
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I love mine. It does everything I need and at a reasonable cost. There may be better ones out there for a lot more, who knows, but I'm extremely pleased with mine. I can cut small stuff or rip a 4x8 sheet of plywood no sweat! John
snipped-for-privacy@rivergod.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@rivergod.com wrote:

Half the people will 'hate' it and the other 'half' will like it. The 'half' that likes it will own one or have owned one. I own a 3000 - essentialy the same saw. Sears sold them for a while under their own name and parts are still available there. Though I 'like' the saw, I would not buy it again knowing what I know now. The sliding table kind of sucked me in, but I don't find it all that useful and the lack of a mitre slot was so annoying that I bought the mitre slot add on. The saw does work, does what I need it to do, sometimes bogs down on 8/4 HW, and has the best dust collection I've ever seen except for my Dewalt DW621 router.

Did you try this site: http://www.bt3central.com /
They seem to have lots of good info.
Darrell

Hi Hal. Unless you plan on throwing it into the back of the pickup and taking it from job to job, buy it. Spend some time setting it up ( and checking the settings once in a while) and you will be able to make a lot of nice things. JG
snipped-for-privacy@rivergod.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@rivergod.com wrote:

I have the BT3000SX. I made a miter slot for it. Have a look at the shop section on my web page.
I have added the extension table, and made an outfeed table as well. The router table gets a lot of use as well.
As long as you take some time to learn the setups it works great. Dust collection is excellent. I use a shop vac with a HEPA filter and the .1 micron filter bags.
Check out... Great BT3K site. http://www.bt3central.com /
This fellow uses a BT3K as well as I recall. His stuff seems ok to me. http://www.australianwoodart.com /

That's pretty much how I've envisioned modifying mine, but I think I'd prefer a single slot on each side.
Kevin
Thank you (All) for your input. Sound like I could do a whole lot worse for the price...And if I *outgrow* it, I may even get most of it back!
Thanks again!
Hal