Ryobi belt sander repair

I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with I press the switch.

My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes maybe?

Ignoramus20538

you forgot to plug it in.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

"Cydrome Leader" wrote: you forgot to plug it in. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ After you plug it in, if it still does not run, try nudging the rotor slightly. That may seat the brushes or dislodge some dirt particles.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

OK, that sounds like a plan.

Otherwise I will take it apart and will go through it with a multimeter.

Ignoramus20538

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

If it was working when it was put on the shelf, then I'd start with the switch and then the brushes. It's possible that accumulated dust has worked its way into the switch or perhaps the brushes.

Reply to
Upscale

I would start with the switch. I have a Ryobi (Craftsman) belt sander that wore the switch out just last week. It's a German switch that doesn't have very good dust protection so I'll be sealing it up better with some Shoe Goo. The switch literally burned one of the contacts due to dust buildup.

Reply to
Chad Schmitz

Spend some time with a blow gun first.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Smack it on something first. Then try the other stuff.

I own one. Every now and then it needs a smack.

Reply to
LD

Yep, "smacking" and several related tricks "did it". Thanks to all.

Ignoramus21710

"tricks" like plugging it in?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

"Cydrome Leader" wrote: "tricks" like plugging it in? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Another "trick:" paying the electric bill. ;-)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Pressing the ON button also helps...

Ignoramus21710

PM - Percussive Maintenance. Jeez, guys, did you never have TV sets in the 60s? /m

Reply to
Mark F

"SMACK!" "Try the other side." "SMACK!" "That fixed it, but it's a bit fuzzy. Try the tinfoil on the rabbit ears."

Reply to
LD

If its a Ryobi I'd be spending a lot of time swearing at it.

Reply to
evodawg

In 1983, my landlady didn't have cable TV, and in order to watch "The Thorn Birds" I sat and held an aluminum baking sheet at the critical angle to provide clear reception. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

LOL!!

As a child in the 1950s I too played Human Antenna.

"You'll just have to stand there and keep your hand on it until the show is over." "But I can't see it!" "If you don't stand there the rest of us won't be able to see it. We'll tell you what's happening."

Reply to
LD

"LD" wrote

Reminds me of that old Jeff Foxworthy joke.

You might be a redneck if you have two TV's on top of each other. One for the picture and one for the sound.

That was exactly the situation in one of my apartments in my youth.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

My family and a close circle of friends were prime customers of Nash and Studebaker.

"Your Dad took the bus to work today. He said you could take the car to school."

"Uh, well, I'm riding to school with Dean."

Reply to
LD