Ryobi belt sander repair

Page 1 of 2
I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with I press the switch.
My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes maybe?

you forgot to plug it in.
"Cydrome Leader" wrote: you forgot to plug it in. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ After you plug it in, if it still does not run, try nudging the rotor slightly. That may seat the brushes or dislodge some dirt particles.

OK, that sounds like a plan.
Otherwise I will take it apart and will go through it with a multimeter.

If it was working when it was put on the shelf, then I'd start with the switch and then the brushes. It's possible that accumulated dust has worked its way into the switch or perhaps the brushes.
"Ignoramus20538" wrote:

Spend some time with a blow gun first.
Lew
R.Y.O.B.I. = Replace Your Old Beltsander Immediately
On May 27, 9:45am, Ignoramus20538 <ignoramus20...@NOSPAM. 20538.invalid> wrote:

On May 27, 9:45am, Ignoramus20538 <ignoramus20...@NOSPAM. 20538.invalid> wrote:

I would start with the switch. I have a Ryobi (Craftsman) belt sander that wore the switch out just last week. It's a German switch that doesn't have very good dust protection so I'll be sealing it up better with some Shoe Goo. The switch literally burned one of the contacts due to dust buildup.

Smack it on something first. Then try the other stuff.
I own one. Every now and then it needs a smack.

Yep, "smacking" and several related tricks "did it". Thanks to all.

"tricks" like plugging it in?
"Cydrome Leader" wrote: "tricks" like plugging it in? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Another "trick:" paying the electric bill. ;-)

Pressing the ON button also helps...
Ignoramus21710 wrote:

If its a Ryobi I'd be spending a lot of time swearing at it.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Ignoramus21710 wrote:

PM - Percussive Maintenance. Jeez, guys, did you never have TV sets in the 60s? /m

"SMACK!" "Try the other side." "SMACK!" "That fixed it, but it's a bit fuzzy. Try the tinfoil on the rabbit ears."

In 1983, my landlady didn't have cable TV, and in order to watch "The Thorn Birds" I sat and held an aluminum baking sheet at the critical angle to provide clear reception. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

LOL!!
As a child in the 1950s I too played Human Antenna.
"You'll just have to stand there and keep your hand on it until the show is over." "But I can't see it!" "If you don't stand there the rest of us won't be able to see it. We'll tell you what's happening."
"LD" wrote

Reminds me of that old Jeff Foxworthy joke.
You might be a redneck if you have two TV's on top of each other. One for the picture and one for the sound.
That was exactly the situation in one of my apartments in my youth.

My family and a close circle of friends were prime customers of Nash and Studebaker.
"Your Dad took the bus to work today. He said you could take the car to school."
"Uh, well, I'm riding to school with Dean."