Ryobi 18" scroll saw?

This little fellow is about half price right now at Home Depot ($79). The model number is SC180VS. Is it any good?

Reply to
Ksu93dlv

I have this saw. I got it when it was $120 or so. I liked the feature set and decided I would probably never be willing to part with the $$ for a really nice saw. So, keeping in mind that I have no experience with high-end saws... The up-front controls are great! Speed and tension adjustments are very easy. Vibration is not excessive, but don't expect to stand a nickle on the table. The teflon table coating seems like a good idea, but it's fairly fragile, mine's already scratched up and I haven't put more than a couple of hours on it. Also, the table insert is made of some kind of fairly soft plstic and will flex if you're cutting very small pieces. The blade clamps are easy to use and need no tool, but don't over-tighten. The design puts a lot of stress on a small tab of the powder-metallurgy casting. If you break it, you'll discover that Ryobi brings products to market with no thought whatsoever as to parts supply. As in, NONE. No parts available. For any reason. The replacement part I eventually got was obviously off a returned saw, and was for the bottom arm, not the top. (Gee, I wonder why that saw got returned?) But hey, I don't care. Know why? 'Cause the infinitely superior Delta quick clamp (of which I already had one) fits, albeit backwards unless you want to grind a clearance on the saw's arm. Where was I? Oh yeah... good saw, despite the above. But then, I have a high tolerance for that kind of stuff.

HTH, Bruce

Ksu93dlv wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m14.aol.com...

Reply to
Bruce Adams