Ryobi 14.4 cordless drill and saw combo

Hi, I'm considering purchasing from our local Home Depot Ryobi's combo cordless kit Model: HP314MK2. Kit includes drill, circular saw, 2 bits, edge guide & carrying case. The price is right 99.97 something at can afford at the moment. Is anyone familiar with this product and it performance and quality? Thanks in advance, Mike
Michael Sajdak wrote:

Hi Mike,
I've purchased this kit some months ago and found it to be quite capable... for the money.
Since I've only used the saw on one or two smallish projects, I can't testify as to it's long-term endurance (cutting mostly 3/8 and some 3/4" plywood down to size), but it did get the jobs done without problems. The supplied blade left a lot to be desired in the splintering area though.
The drill is more than adequate and feels good in my large hands.
I think you'll be happy with it.
HTH, Charlie Legman

Any idea how long the saw battery will hold a charge, Charlie...if you don't use it...but simply keep it in the saw? Is it an 18 volt?
I'm thinking of getting one in the near future...and I'm sure I'd only use it once or twice a month at the most. But I'd want it to be ready when I am...and I'm sure I'm gonna forget to store the battery in the charger...if that is even a good idea.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Trent wrote:

Hi Trent,
The combo has been sitting in it's case, un-used and un-charged, for several months now so I went down to my shop to give it a test... still seemed okay after several cuts in 3/4" plywood scraps nor could I stop the drill with my hand. I rarely use this Ryobi combo.
As the subject line states, it's a 14.4 volt system. It does not mention whether or not it's okay to leave the battery in the charger. I don't! HTH, Charlie Legman
PS: I use my (lighter) two 9.6 volt drills all the time (one in the workshop and one in the house), in case you're wondering!

Thanks for the personalized service, Charlie!! lol That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Per your above experiment, I think this saw might work out fine for me.

I've got a Ryobi 9.6 that I bought about 5 years ago, Charlie. I use it mainly as a fast screwdriver...and I use it often. For drilling, I use my PC 14.4...that I bought at a garage sale for $10! The Ryobi doesn't spin fast enough for any drilling work.
I'm torn between a good battery saw and a fairly good drill press.
Decisions!...decisions!! lol
Thanks again for the help.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Trent wrote: <snippage for brevity only>

Glad I can be of some help Trent.
IMHO, if you already have a corded saw for cutting sheet goods, I would opt for the drill press... without hesitation!
Charlie J. Legman
I have a Royobi 14.4 circular saw and drill from Home depot, although mine also came with a light but no bits. It does what I need it to do. My only negative is the battery life when using the drill, doesn't seem nearly as long as my two 12 V Skill Top Gun. Have no basis for comparison in the saw. But I bought the saw primarily for quick cuts hear and there, which it seems to do fine with.
Phil
Michael Sajdak wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net says...

thing.
I work as a contractor, and do abuse my tools from time-to time. I was so pleased with the Ryobi performance, that when the first one's batteries started to go soft a bit, I relegated it to my home shop (where it still gets regular, but lighter, duty) and bought an identical one for work.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
I have had the 18 volt combo pack for almost 2 years and it is a good value IMHO. I originally got the 18 volt drill after using a friends 14 volt at work. I went to buy the 14 and the 18 was there for $20.00 more. You might consider stepping up to the 18 volt combo. Recipro saw is passable but won't replace a good corded model. Extra batteries. For some reason The 18 volt batteries go for around $60.00.O.K. if they what they wan to charge fine. They carry an 19 volt dust buster for $50.00.1 battery,charge,and vacuum. Throw away the vac and you still are ahead of the game. They make a battery operated "roto saw" It works good as an edge trimmer. For $60.00 I got the trimmer,battery and one battery. I have picked up extra batts at flea markets and also another flashlight head. I think the 18 volt combo has a little more to offer.
Good luck on which ever you choose to get.I don't think you'll be disappointed.
says...

Who is going to own you now? 8>]) Larry

I have a 9.6V Ryobi drill/screwdriver--I've had it for about 4-1/2 years. Came with two batteries & charger. Excellent performer--battery life is kinda short though. And I keep the spare battery on the charger--seems to work fine.
I was so happy with the drill that I've bought three of the Ryobi bench-top products: drill press, band saw, and oscillating drum sander. I also have a Ryobi electric weed-eater type tool. All of these tools have been excellent for the money.
--Steve
Michael Sajdak wrote:

Mike, a friend of mine has this set - bought it about 1 1/2 years ago. She is an occasioanl user - I have used it to cut shelves(3/4" ply) a few 2x4s, drilled all kind of holes and to screw into studs and plywood. All in all a nice set that I would rate for high-end homeowner use. The drill is great - the saw lacks power for extended work. For occasioanl projects around the house it is great (though do not expect the saw to perform like a decent 7 1/4" circualr saw)! So far both batteries are fine!
Klaus