Rustprevention on TS

Hi, I live in Florida and in the summer time it gets way to hot to work in garage, where my shop is, so I end up only working in the cooler months. I'm just getting ready to start up again and I noticed that my TS surface as rusted up a bit. How do I remove the rust and prevent it for reforming in the high humidity summer months? tia, Mike
DAGS = do a google search
but because I'm a nice guy
WD-40 soak scrub with green scotch brite pad wipe with rag spray with TopCote (2 coats, following instructions)
ta-da

If you don't mind it turning black, try rustoleum rust converter. It sprays on clear and converts the rust into black primer. best thing it stops the rust from coming back. I did this on my saw and it has never rusted again, even where the top has wore back to base metal. It also doesn't add to the surface like a paint would. Try it on a scrap piece and see for yourself. FWIW..
http://www.rassonil.com/Care1.htm
--
Rumpty

I'll add this product is widely used in the autobody industry for rust conversion, what I like about it, prevents new rust on bare steel.
Thanks all, I actually was looking at a similar rust primer stuff today at HD. Is it OK to use even if the rust isn't covering 100% of the top? What does it come out like if it's applied to an area with no rust? Mike

Picklex-20 is a clear liquid and won't "color" metal. As they say, try in a test area prior to use...
--
Rumpty

I live in Central FL. Spray the deck with WD-40 and cover it with an old towel also sprayed with WD-40. Once a month, give the towel an extra spritz of oil (no need to lift it). It'll keep the deck looking new. Paste wax doesn't work here.
Hopefully the weather is going to get a bit cooler this weekend. Raining a lot here the last two days. :-(
Robert

Don't you have problems with oily WD-40 getting on (an in) your wood? Maybe you can cold blue (buy at the gun department of a sporting goods store) the top.

No problems at all. Since it isn't silicone based, it easily wipes off. Only takes a minute to wipe the surface clean. It has never affected the Minwax stain and poly finishes I've used in over a decade. Other oils may not clean off as easily and could transfer to the wood. Rust is an evil thing that can appear overnight here. A fingerprint on a new scraper will leave a permanent mark if not oiled. Don't ask how I know. :-(
POR-15 has some proven corrosion control products. I've used their black paint in the bed of my truck and on my camper. They now offer a clear and pseudo anodized colors. I'd be curious how well these would work on a TS deck. I just sent an e-mail to them asking if they could recommend one of their products for this application. I'll post any response.
Robert

What woul dthe cold blue do? All my guns rust with bluing.

Besides the other suggestions, I've been using a dehumidifier for the past two years. Works great for keeping all my tools pretty much rust free. The only rust I've gotten since was when I opened my garage door which was wet from the rain outside and missed some drops falling from between the pannels.( Landed on my uncovered TS) :(
Use a product called Ospho and a Scotch scrub pad. Do NOT let the Ospho dry. When you are finished wipe the surcae thoroughly to remove traces of the Ospho. It will male the table look almost new.
For anyone unfamiliar with Ospho see skyco.com

There's a lot of rust removers on the market, depends how bad it is. When it gets really bad, I use the POR range, but these may not be appropriate for WW machines, too thick.
For prevention, I have always had excellent results with auto transmission fluid, (Dexron?) It's very cheap and gives good results, won't cost an arm and a leg to wipe some on.
Barry Lennox