rust removal revisited - miter slots?

Ok.. followed the excellent and argued over instructions here and did the TS top with my pad sander and Scotchbbrite pads..
It looks pretty good now and has 3 layers of Topcoat on it..
OTOH, the miter slots still have rust in them.. Any tips/tricks before I try reinventing the wheel?
I tried using PSA paper on my cutoff sled runners and that was a real mess..lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Pretty much what I do. I set the ROS on top of the Scotch Brite and get after it.

How about a thin wire brush for the slots. Push come to shove use a tooth brush after letting the solvent soak for a few minutes. WD-40 will leave a refreshing taste in your mouth. ;~)

Yeah, I was hoping for a low-labor solution, but I'll grab the brushes and go for it..
A few years ago my wife wanted a set of brass/aluminum/steel brushes from Harbor Freight so I got a box of 'em.. Never thought I'd have a rust problem in the friggin' desert..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote:

Two choices:
1) Start with a 1/2"-5/8" thick board about 6"-8" long.
Attach a piece of double back tape, then a piece of emery paper.
Apply WD-40 and elbow grease, then wipe slot with paper towel.
2) Recently picked up a brass wire brush, designed to clean a cast iron grill skillet, at Smart & Final(Restaurant supply house in SoCal) that is about 1/2" wide x 4"-5" long with a wood handle.
Apply WD-40 and elbow grease, then wipe slot with paper towel.
Would do a super job based on my experience with the cast iron skillet.
Have fun.
Lew

Have you tried a rust eraser? You can get them at rockler and maybe other woodworking store. I use them to remove rust on anything metal You can cut then to fit in the mitre slot . The come in fine, me and corase texture.
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com
"randyswoodshoop" wrote:

Sounds like it has some HCL in it which while getting rid of the rust, may be a tad aggressive.
Does the cleaned surface have to be neutralized after use?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Just like it sounds--a rectangular chunk of rubbery material filled with silicon carbide particles. Like solid sandpaper.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Nope.. pretty much a small sanding sponge, but instead of being coated with abrasive, it's MADE of it..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

damn, Randy, I have one on my bench! I feel dumber than usual, now..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 14:00:12 -0800, mac davis

Whatever you do, DO NOT run your fingers down the miter slot to clean out dust or swarf. Especially don't do it twice. DAMHIKT.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Who is the manufacturer of Topcoat? Googling provides coats and nail polish but nothing that strikes me as something I want to put on my saw table...
Jeff wrote:

Try looking for TopCote

Empire... http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidI48
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Different product...
Bostik makes Top Cote: <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
Cut down a scotchbrite pad and attach it a piece of wood small enough for the slot, with something one top to grab hold onto. Or a fine flap wheel with a Dremel.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.