Rust removal/prevention on TS

HELP!

When I bought my TS a few months ago, I removed all the grease from the iron surfaces as specified in the manual and put 2 coats of Johnson wax on..

That's worked for years on all my tools when we were in Calif., but I guess the humidity in Baja is a lot different, because the table rusted right through the wax...

I removed it with fine steel wool (artificial plastic stuff) and mineral spirits, followed my 2 more coats of wax but I'm wondering if anyone uses something better?

We're going into a couple of real humid months here and cleaning the rust off once a week is gonna be a major bummer... any advice appreciated...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I doubt that humidity is the problem, not all that humid in Baja anyway, about like Alta California...not even close to that of Honolulu or Veracruz where I used to live or central Florida where I live now. Do you live near the beach? If so, salt spray is the culprit.

Reply to
dadiOH

Just move it outside during the day. Probably hot enough to boil ANYthing off of it. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

To prevent rust,the best I've use ate Top Cote and Boeshield T-9. Both work well.

For removing rust and some protection, Top Saver is fantastic. Spray it on, wipe it off. I was amazed at how well it worked. All of these are available from your favorite suppliers, like Lee Valley.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My chance to, once again, endorse Empire Manufacturings products including Top Saver, and Top Cote.

When a number of my machines where submerged during Katrina and sat there for two weeks before I could get to them, I called the people from Empire for advice. On there own and without my asking, they sent me a "care package" at no charge, a box of their various products to help with my recovery effort.

The people are nice and the product works well.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Once again, buy the stuff that is make to prevent rust and slick up the top at the same time.

TopCote and or the Empire products.

Wax is not a good protestant against moisture on wood, it is no different on iron.

In almost 30 years of cast iron tops and having tried almost every thing I always go back to TopCote and or the Empire products in Humid Houston.

Reply to
Leon

;~) Do you remember far back enough when Empire owned TopCote?

Reply to
Leon

Must be Catholic :-).

I live in an area of relatively low humidity in summer and high in winter. When I first set up my workshop 20 or so years ago, I used Trewax floor wax on all the cast iron. The first year or so I had to rewax about every month, especially in the wet season. Over time, that diminished to about once a quarter and, for the last several years, once or twice a year.

Unless I set green wood on the iron - yes, I've done that :-).

So my opinion is that over time wax fills the pores of the cast iron and does prevent rust quite well.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Similar experience (over 30+ years) -- it's far the cheapest/simplest and an actually somewhat pleasant chore occasionally imo...

Reply to
dpb

Outstanding!

A bunch of our local technicians went down to help Bell South clean up and sent photos and video back. It was unreal! I also recently saw the "Dirty Jobs" episode with the post-Katrina house gutters.

We like to think that in modern times we're not susceptible to this stuff, but Mother Nature always wins. After 9/11 and Katrina, I'm still blown away by the adaptability and toughness of humans.

Katrina also made me realize just how underappreciated the US Coast Guard is.

**
**

B A R R Y

I stand corrected, Top Saver and Table Top Lubricant. Despite my misquote they are still nice people and the products do work well, and after the way they treated my I love to endorse, (no matter how inaccurately) their products. :~)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Heck Frank, I was not trying to correct you. ;~) TopCote was originally made by the people that make Empire products, back in the 80's.

I use both brand products.

Reply to
Leon

I didn't know that.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

hmm... yesterday, the temp was 95 with 63% humidity... for me, that's humid... lol

The beach is 3 miles away, so I don't think that's a factor....

For the last week, the truck windows are wet in the morning and the desert foliage is getting green... and unfortunately, my TS is turning red... *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Good point, Wayne.. I should have mentioned that it lives in a covered RV carport...

It gets morning sun and a nice breeze, so I really didn't expect rust..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Thanks, Ed... I saw the top cote, didn't see top saver..

I'll have to see if any of my friends in the States are coming down soon.. as I remember, those are aerosol products, right? (can't be sent air, which means no US Mail)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

THAT'S where I heard of them, from your posts at the time, Frank..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Thanks, Leon... and I won't be a smart ass about your spelling...

Real OT: Since you mention Houston, Have you ever been to Arne's party supply on Hicks St.? I've been doing his web page for years but haven't been there , but it's supposed to be HUGE...

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Oh, it definitely _is_ a factor at that distance...I think it actually is both and if you're in a season w/ prevailing onshore winds, it'll make a big difference as opposed to offshore.

dpb

As above, if that breeze is onshore, it's damp and probably condensing even w/ the covered roof. Might try one of the semi-permeable covers and see if it helps.

--

Reply to
dpb