Rust removal/prevention on TS

Page 1 of 2
HELP!
When I bought my TS a few months ago, I removed all the grease from the iron surfaces as specified in the manual and put 2 coats of Johnson wax on..
That's worked for years on all my tools when we were in Calif., but I guess the humidity in Baja is a lot different, because the table rusted right through the wax...
I removed it with fine steel wool (artificial plastic stuff) and mineral spirits, followed my 2 more coats of wax but I'm wondering if anyone uses something better?
We're going into a couple of real humid months here and cleaning the rust off once a week is gonna be a major bummer... any advice appreciated...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

I doubt that humidity is the problem, not all that humid in Baja anyway, about like Alta California...not even close to that of Honolulu or Veracruz where I used to live or central Florida where I live now. Do you live near the beach? If so, salt spray is the culprit.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

hmm... yesterday, the temp was 95 with 63% humidity... for me, that's humid... lol
The beach is 3 miles away, so I don't think that's a factor....
For the last week, the truck windows are wet in the morning and the desert foliage is getting green... and unfortunately, my TS is turning red... *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Oh, it definitely _is_ a factor at that distance...I think it actually is both and if you're in a season w/ prevailing onshore winds, it'll make a big difference as opposed to offshore.

good point... All the houses here face the Sea to take advantage of the "Baja Breeze" off the water... I wouldn't have known that the salt air would travel that far... thanks!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

LOL, In Houston that is kinda dry. Several weeks ago before the monsoone season started the humidity was down in the 30's and I thought I was going to dry out and blow away. ;~)

Well, it probably is a factor if you get a breeze from that direction. My house in Houston is approximately 50 miles form the Gulf of Mexico. The screen wire covering the attic vent on the south side of my house has long rusted away. The same screen on the north side of the house looks brand new.

If your shop experiences drastic temperature changes quickly you may be getting condensation from that.

Well, the SHOP does because I run the AC sometimes, but the rv carport where the TS is doesn't vary that much... maybe a high of 100f or so, and a low of 85 or 88f...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Just move it outside during the day. Probably hot enough to boil ANYthing off of it. :-)
Wayne

Good point, Wayne.. I should have mentioned that it lives in a covered RV carport...
It gets morning sun and a nice breeze, so I really didn't expect rust..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

As above, if that breeze is onshore, it's damp and probably condensing even w/ the covered roof. Might try one of the semi-permeable covers and see if it helps.

To prevent rust,the best I've use ate Top Cote and Boeshield T-9. Both work well.
For removing rust and some protection, Top Saver is fantastic. Spray it on, wipe it off. I was amazed at how well it worked. All of these are available from your favorite suppliers, like Lee Valley.

Thanks, Ed... I saw the top cote, didn't see top saver..
I'll have to see if any of my friends in the States are coming down soon.. as I remember, those are aerosol products, right? (can't be sent air, which means no US Mail)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

TopCote is an aerosol but TopSaver by Empire is in a pump bottle, not aerosol. You may be able to order direct.

thanks, Leon... I called a friend and he's coming "home" in 2 weeks, so I'll order a supply of both today and have it shipped to his house in AZ so he can bring it across the border..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:47:37 -0700, mac davis

My chance to, once again, endorse Empire Manufacturings products including Top Saver, and Top Cote.
When a number of my machines where submerged during Katrina and sat there for two weeks before I could get to them, I called the people from Empire for advice. On there own and without my asking, they sent me a "care package" at no charge, a box of their various products to help with my recovery effort.
The people are nice and the product works well.
Frank

;~) Do you remember far back enough when Empire owned TopCote?
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:16:10 -0500, "Leon"

I stand corrected, Top Saver and Table Top Lubricant. Despite my misquote they are still nice people and the products do work well, and after the way they treated my I love to endorse, (no matter how inaccurately) their products. :~)
Frank
wrote:>

Heck Frank, I was not trying to correct you. ;~) TopCote was originally made by the people that make Empire products, back in the 80's.
I use both brand products.
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 02:51:31 GMT, "Leon"

I didn't know that.

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 19:46:39 -0500, Frank Boettcher

We've been using Top-Cote for a few years now but recently bought a bottle of the Table Top Lubricant to try. Since the TTL can be purchased in large amounts we thought it might save a little money in the long run. Following their instructions (spray on, let dry, wipe off, spray again) I don't seem to be able to get as slick a top as with TC. Am I doing something wrong or is there a special technique you like to use with the TTL?
Mike O.