Rust on tool surfaces

I have several tools (jointer, bandsaw etc.) whose table surfaces (mostly cast iron) have become rusted due to storage in moist environments for a time. Any recommendations for:
a) How best to remove the rust (maybe steel wool?) b) What to put on the cleaned surface to prevent this from happening again. Wax? oil? I'd like to minimize the contamination of my wood when I use the tools.
Thanks
Fine or coarse steel wool (depending on how bad they are) will remove it nicely. I use a product called Top Coat to protect my tools and provide a slippery surface. Most places that sell woodowkring supplies (rockler, woodcraft, etc.) carry it. It is something like $10 a can, but I have used the same can for 5 years now. It works really well, and dosen't leave any kind of residue on the wood that affects finish.
I have heard some people use just regular paste wax as well, but I have not tried that personally.
Joe in Denver My Woodworking Website: www.the-wildings.com/shop/

I use WD40 and 00 to 0000 steel wool to remove rust.
Johnson's, Butcher, Minwax and good paste wax works well for protection of cast iron tops. You might want to try Boeshield T9, too. That is a good protectant.

The best stuff for removing rust is Top Saver. It is better than anything I've seen. Once cleaned, use Top Cote, Boeshield, or paste wax to protect it.

a maroon 3m (scotchbrite) pad sorta sticks to the bottom of my random orbit sander, and that and some wd-40 or even dry, gets the rust off.

wax. i use butcher's paste wax (s.c. johnson), warmed up and soft, apply a heavy coat and let DRY, and buff out with a cloth or a buffing pad on an orbital buffer. i've tried a lot of the spray-on stuff like boeshield and topkote and hate 'em.
jon e