rust on Radial ARm Saw base

I was just given a 30 year old craftsman radial arm saw, and the stamped sheet metal base (which supports the table) is very rusty in places. In certain areas, the rust is 'blistering'.

Whats the best way of getting the rust off of this thing so that I can paint it/protect it?

- Thanks,

Todd

Reply to
Todd Seidenberg

You might consider having a metal shop replace it. In thin sheets of metal, rust compromises the material's strength rather quickly. You'll want that support structure to be as rigid and strong as you can get it if you plan on this tool being useful.

If you believe it's salvageable, I find that a combination of abrasion and chemistry is best.

With full ventilation and while wearing a respirator and eye protection, use a wire wheel on your favorite high-power rotary tool to clean down to bare, shiny metal. You may need a grinder wheel if the rust is as bad as you say. Once you're down to bare metal, assess the thickness of the remaining steel and see whether this is really worth your time.

When you have brushed it well, apply naval jelly (phosphoric acid in a gel emulsion, available from any hardware store) according to the label directions. This will remove most of the lingering rust and chemically convert the microscopic remainder into a non-infectious form.

Immediately prime the metal with a primer specially formulated for steel and let it dry well. Then you can apply enamel or whatever you want as a final finish.

Reply to
Jay Windley

Reply to
Bob Bowles

For removing rust I would reccomend an angle grinder with a wire wheel. My harbor freight $20 special with a $10 twisted wire wheel has done an great job on miles of rust. Make sure to get the twisted wire wheels the straight wire wheels loose their wire bristles very quickly.

Reply to
Mike

Todd....Use a coarse wire wheel on your hand grinder....or wire brush....or scraper....then smooth it with medium grit cloth-back 'sandpaper'. Use some rust remover if you wish, or just wire brush with detergent and water.....rinse well, dry it in the sun (you don't want any trapped water in the joints) then primer paint (spray or brush) then oil or lacquer finish, gloss or semi-gloss, spray or brush. It doesn't need to look perfect.....you just want to stop the rusting. Use lacquer spray if you want fast-dry, no-run. I'd suggest pink.....your buddies would have a hoot. .....pmh

Reply to
sawdust