Rush and Relapse.

Page 2 of 4
You need to either see a shrink or cut back on the drugs. BTW, I eliminated some of the cross posting so thankfully I won't see another rant.
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:50:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@libertyoak.org wrote:

--
Is 'tired old cliche' one?

snipped-for-privacy@libertyoak.org wrote:

I trust you won't mind if we ask you to prove that.
-- Mike Smith
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

... and he was probably safer there as a newspaper writer than young Bush was in the States actually flying jets, especially jets designed and built in the mid to late 60's. For someone to want to dodge the draft for safety, becoming a fighter pilot is sort of self-defeating. US military jets, in spite of tremendous efforts to make them as safe as possible, are always pushing the edge of technological feasibility to eke out perfomance margin. As such, there is risk associated with jet flight.

Right. Being in the middle of war is always safer than flying around the Texas countryside. Hey, maybe that's why he dissappeared for those 14 months - he decided it wasn't safe to fly.
Renata
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 03:34:40 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Renata wrote:

I heard the Guard was somewhat glad Dubya was AWOL because he was not a very good pilot.
Actually I think the word I heard/ read was dangerous.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark responds:

http://www.awolbush.com /
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

While I'd argue that those documents fall short of _proving_ anything it is reasonable to infer the following:
GWB applied for a transfer from Texas to Alabama so he could work on some politician's campaign staff. It appears that he was excused from his duties in Texas by his commander there, while the paperwork for his transfer was being processed. Then his transfer was denied, but there is no evidence that he was ever ordered to return to duty in Texas.
It appears that he simply fell through the cracks. Not AWOL.
--

FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

What an oily attempt at a way around the AWOL issue.
Doesn't work. Still AWOL. Or maybe it implies worse.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

I'm more inclined to call it slimey than oily. But I also insist on calling a spade a spade and while I may be mistaken I don't think someone can be AWOL when one does not have orders to be somewhere from which one can be absent.
--

FF

Fred the Red Shirt notes:

Well, I was a corporal in the Marines, not a whatever the hell GWB was in the ANG, but I know damned well they'd have found some way to charge my ass, bust me to private and give me some brig time if I had pulled that sort of shit.
Period.
Maybe not today in the all volunteer everything, but neither GWB nor I was in the modern military.
Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook
Charlie Self wrote:

I was in the 'modern military' (separated in '82) and I can tell you it wouldn't have gone down very well.
I'm pretty sure if I had tried what Dubya got away with I would be in front of my commander, in chains, with at least one SP/MP holding the leash, while trying to explain my absence and why I wasn't at/ why I was unclear about my duty station.
OTOH, I'm sure if my Daddy held any position in Washington I would be able to get away with being AWOL to work for a another politician.
There is no excuse for Dubyas absence, but you can't get that through to people who choose to remain ignorant.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Does the word "guard" mean anything to you guys?
I took a few trips with trash haulers, and the weekend warriors are an entirely different world. They can say "no" and not go to jail!
Of course, I guess it's easier to bash than check....

in the

bust
shit.
was in

I'll be sure to relay to my nephew that, being in the guard, he can up and leave any time he feels like it. It's kinda hot in Kuwait and it's probable he'd much rather be back in the USA.
REnata
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:23:01 -0500, "George"

George writes:

Uh, sure. Join the military and take off. I don't know, nor do I really care, what the current Guard can or can't do, but for most military types, taking 14 months off is not classed as "saying no." It's called AWOL, or if stressed, desertion.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
"Charlie Self"

Great self evaluation there in your quote. If Bush had been awol there were plenty of opportunities for his political enemies to make it stick. Problem is he had permission to take off early so the issues serves only to occupy the time of those who have already made up their mind. Those against him won't be moved and those for him won't be moved. Even if he did get special consideration back then to run for public office it's more than Clinton did and he didn't have to lie about getting drafted. That's the problem with a bias, it's like wearing a backpack. You can't see your own.
Fletis Humplebacker responds:

Bullshit. He didn't get permission to take off early. He got permission to move his attendance to another unit. He never showed up. As far as making charges stick, Bush clearly makes Mr. Teflon, Ronnie Reagan, look like an amateur, and I'll be damned if I know how he does it, since he doesn't nap most days away to stay "out of the loop." Oh. Wait. That was his daddy.
I wasn't against Bush until I tried to listen to him. If he's ever had a clear thought in his life, it was planted by one of his handlers.
As far as Clinton's military service goes, I don't understand the relevance here. I'm not sure when CLinton "lied about getting drafted." He wasn't drafted, though he may well have lied his way out of it. That's a characteristic of politicians, in case you haven't noticed it before. They lie. Whether I'm biased or not, that's a fact. All parties. All politicians.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
I can think of a few thousand people over in Iraq right now that would be more than willing to call you a bald face liar for this load of BS. Care to try to save some self respect and reword things a little?
says...

You're more emotion than sense. Once again, they are _active duty_ players now. That's what "activation" means.
If you had cared to read and evaluate rather than react, the discussion devolves from what constitutes service in the _peacetime_ guard, where, in the gas and trash-passing group I dealt with, you could "bid" your trips, tell the folks when you would be available and not. Just as GW did.
My twenty plus years of service give me all the credibility I need. Not to mention the young kid who calls me "dad" who just returned to his station in Germany from Baghdad.
Now take a laxative and clear your head.

George wrote:

It may give you credibility for 'bidding station' (Tell us, if you bid a station and don't get it can you still go there?) but being a lifer pretty much shoots you in the ass for credibility on any other political subject.
I'll just attribute your beliefs to your having to follow the party line to avoid being perceived as being 'unpatriotic'.
Be American!! Dissent! Speak your mind! Dubya didn't get what he wanted but he did it anyway, how can this be lost on you??
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

I find this quote here to be quite humorus. At least one of you certainly is and, as a bystander, I can't tell which.
Dave Hall