Runny TiteBond III vs II (with pictures)

Page 3 of 3
On 8/9/2016 2:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My experience is TB III is runnier than Elmer's WW glue or TB II. I like it that way, and find it easier to use and spread. I only bought it once, a few years ago, and used it for a couple of years, with no apparent problems. I have also used Elmer's WW glue that was pretty dang old with zero problems, and once, someone gave me a gallon of TB I guess TB 1 and I had it for I bet 20 years. I used it only on scrap stuff, or non important stuff, and it worked fine.
I just bought a container of TB II to replace the TB III I had used up, I did it because Leon said III wasn't as strong, or as good. Now, I wish I had bought the III, first because I like the runniness and the longer work time, and second because it is water resistant. I never really had a problem with regular Elmer's Cabinetmakers glue on outdoor furniture, cutting boards and so on, so the water "proof" qualities I'm not too concerned about. Nothing I've made with TB III shows any signs of failure, but the Elmer's has 40-50 years w/o failure, so it will be a long time after me before I can say the same for TB. I'm rather confident all TB and Elmer's and most all similar glues will work fine, and long past there expiration dates.
--
Jack
On 8/10/2016 9:56 AM, Jack wrote:

If your TBIII was runny, it was old. In factory condition it is thicker. If runny, the open time is reduced.

Although runny may have different meaning to different readers.
Need a viscometer or rheometer to measure it, I guess.
On 08/10/2016 11:04 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

There was no question on the separated old container here; the top (very thin layer) was just water essentially and that which ran over the essentially solids in the bottom was warm syrup consistency...
See other response on overall behavior...