Run-Out On An Impact Driver?

I purchased a Rigid Drill-Impact driver kit from Home Depot the other day. While I've never owned an impact driver before, I have used them, but in just a "pick it up and use it" fashion.

The thing I noticed while inspecting the Rigid kit is that there is some run-out in the impact driver. The bits do not spin exactly in-line with the main axis, there is a bit (no pun intended) of a wobble.

I didn't have any problem driving some screws when I tested it, and it certainly drove them faster the the drill, but I don't know if the impact feature of the driver means that I should expect some run-out.

Yes or no?

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't have any on mine. I would take it back for an exchange. Home Depot is great about that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Compared to a drill chuck, Impact drivers have a quick release chuck. These do not grip the bit as tightly as a regular drill chuck. Typically they are ball detent chucks that do have to have some play in order for the bit to not jam. This is normal.

Reply to
Leon

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I think some is reasonable for that type of tool. Both the nature of the chuck and the intermittant nature of the force applied to the bit would tend to make a wobble. Putting the bit on the screw is probably enough to damp out any extra motion.

Note that this is one reason why you don't want to drill holes with an impact driver.

John

(who's curious now to look at his and see if it has any)

Reply to
John McCoy

Actually there is no issues with drilling holes "in wood" with an impact, I have done plenty. If you need precision hole drilling you need a DP, not even a hand held drill will can one truly drive a hole at a precise angle. While there is a bit of wobble with an impact driver a drill bit pretty much guides it self straight once a hole is started.

Reply to
Leon

That depends on how much. I have very little in my Hitachi.

Reply to
woodchucker