Rules on pre-drilling sizes for screws

Page 2 of 3
Mike Marlow said something like:

Good idea. I was convinced once that top posting was superior, but it wasn't long before I figured out why.
But of all the usenet skills, getting out before the flame happens is one of the better ones. :)
Thomas G. Marshall said something like:
...[rip]...

....oops. should be "before I figured out why *not* ."

LRod said something like:
...[rip]...

I never quite realized that there were numbered and lettered bit sizes for intermediate widths.
Makes more sense than things like 37/256th 's. Unless they are primarily metric.
...[rip]...

The metric debate got me thinking:
Since all the common denomenators for franctional inches are powers of 2, wouldn't it be much less cumbersome to express the demomenator as the exponent of the power of 2?
That is:
1/2 = 1/(2^1) could be expressed as 1:1 or "one, one" 3/4 = 3/(2^2) or "three, two" 3/16 would be "three, four" 37/256 would be "thiry seven, eight"
But then again I'm comfortable in hexidecimal.
-Steve

"Less cumbersome"?? Not in my opinion.

So am I (first job out of college was assembly-language programming on a 370/145 DOS/VSE) -- but I still think that's a really bad idea, starting with the fact that while you and I are perfectly comfortable doing math in hex, it appears you've forgotten that somewhere around 99.99% of the population isn't.
BTW, it's spelled "hexadecimal."
--
Regards,

"seven thirty seconds" is preferable to "seven five"?
I'm not really serious that it's a viable nomenclature, it just seems that there 's a while lot of chaff in the current system.

VAX assembler & BLISS

Point taken.

Really only 10 types though, those that understand binary and...
I bet we could get the whole scentific notation crowd on board for another .001%
Please note that I did not suggest that 1/32 be represented as 1/20
Cheers,
Steve

Stephen M said something like:

Ah....a DEC old-timer.
I actually was a programmer for DEC in high school cira 1981. My junior year, working in the hiighly coveted "BASIC and RTL" department up in MK2 in Merrimack, NH.
Big time hooey, because for some reason, BASIC ruled the roost up there. Bliss was what everything serious was written in and was a very cool idea. Sitting approximately 2 inches (5.08 cm :) ) above assembly language it was a pretty nifty portable solution, particularly at the time. At least IMHO.
I wonder if I could write a "JBliss" compiler (to java VM code) ?
Maybe when my table project is done...
PS. Ever do mental arithmetic to compare the old DECsystem 10's to, say, a Dell 3 Ghz desktop? LOL...
...[john jacob jingleheimer snip]...

Ouch...I'm only 43!

Stephen M said something like:

I'm 42. I win :)
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Kids! :(
Philco 2000 Assembly/FORTRAN IV... :)

Started with PDP-11/C. Vax was a major step up. BTW, I've moved on to unix and now to windoze and still maintain that vax/vms was a great OS - close to crash proof. It still amazes me that after twenty years, windows is still lacking features present in vax/vms...
Mitch
MB wrote:

I'm curious as to what those features are.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

It's been a number of years (15 or more) since I used VMS, but as the OP indicated, it was a nearly bulletproof operating system. The on-line help was extensive and all the commands reflected the fact that this operating system was designed vs. evolved. All the commands had the same syntax and were intuitive. One also had significant control with the command line instructions like Unix and unlike Microsoft OS's, but the commands also made sense and were consistent, unlike Unix.
That's about all I remember anymore; I just remember being very frustrated when I had to move to DOS and Unix OS's after working with VMS. Now, I'm comfortable with Unix, it was just hard-won experience.

J. Clarke wrote:

"Nearly crash-proof" as a start... :) (In fact, I don't believe the the VAX when I was using it ever had a fault/failure that was OS related in the eight years I was there...one hardware failure that I remember was the only non-scheduled downtime I remember ever.)
Multi-user comes to mind...

dpb wrote:

Most of the Windows crashes I've experienced since 2K shipped have been hardware, usually RAM. System crashes still occur but they're rare and when they do occur they're often driver crashes. One area of confusion is that many "crashes" aren't really--the keyboard or display driver is hung while the kernel is still up and running. On a single-user machine with only the one keyboard and display it is difficult to clear these other than by reboot (although briefly pressing the power button may lead to an orderly shutdown--by briefly I mean tap it, don't hold it to force a hardware shutdown), but the same sort of problem on a server can often be corrected by logging in from another terminal and killing the offending session.

Windows has been multiuser since 2K Server shipped. There's a Unix client called "rdesktop". Prior to 2K Server Microsoft had a separate product called "Terminal Services" that added the capability to NT. The multiuser support is disabled on the single-user versions though so you won't see it unless you have access to one of the server products and the administrator has enabled the capability--by default it's turned off.
--John

VMS was capable of taking hardware subsystems off-line (while keeping the system up and running) when soft error rates exceeded a certain threashold. Heuristic diagnostics, although only part of the diagnostic suite) turned out to be very effective.

So you don't consider the display driver in a single-user computer to be part of the system? Even if you can't fault MS for the dispaly driver code, it is the O/S architecture that enables that scenario.
On stability:
Secure memory management has been an afterthough in the Windows world. The legacy of relying on applications to be good citizens is what system craches and viruses possible.
By contrast, the VAX memory management architecture (the hardware architecture) was specifically developed to enable secure (that is, a one process can't access another process' memory data,code,stack) memory access and paging.
-Steve

"MB" wrote:

Why should that surprise you?
In this digital age, try to find people who understand the analog world.
Lew

Analog world? That's like 2^128 precision, isn't it?
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Try to find designers of analog inputs for high speed digital data acquisition systems sometime.
Hasn't been taught at the collegiate level for probably 25-30 years.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

But what does that have to do w/ Windows vis a vis VMS????