Rude spammers

Ya'll know that Google has a help feature.!? On that help feature is a button which allows you to access the Google Group Abuse Email. Whenever someone continuiously ( like I observed last week) Spams the group with off topic & obscene material, it should be reported. You must copy some of the message headers 9or entire messages) & send tham along with your complaint. Google then may/ will block the accused-- They really do look into such things if requested. I know you folks out there don't want this group moderated, so maybe we should do something to clean it up ourselves - If indeed we are being spammed. If you email the perps directly, you may be subject to email flames yourselves. Maybe this should become part of our FAQ's

Reply to
Phil

Meaningless in real life. The people that do this to get their jollies use an email account for a day and then change to another. So what if he is closed down? They have a few other names and accounts ready to go. Ignore them and they go away. That is the only thing the really works in the long run.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That only works if you use google to read the wreck, right?

Reply to
Morgans

Recently, I've added several keywords to my Agent filter. I filter on the subject content rather than the spammer, as they frequently change their name and this also wipes out responding posts. This was suprisingly easy to do and very efffective. If people would just ignore the spammers they would go elsewhere and no filters would be needed, but unfortunately that has not happened.

Reply to
Phisherman

Yup, they do. Two recent ones have been eliminated from mails I sent.

Oh, I ignore them. I also send their messages with headers to snipped-for-privacy@google.com. Works every time. They just piss me off.

Reply to
Noons

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 13:28:55 GMT, Phisherman pixelated:

Are you talking about Agent's internal filtering or something like Nfilter? If internal, please post an example. I got ticked off at Agent for not being able to filter body text which would have helped me avoid everyone else's replies to all the twits in my filters.

Yes, unfortunately.

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Agent's internal filter.

  1. Highlight the message you wish to filter.
  2. Right Click, select Filters
  3. Add Kill Filter ... A filter property window pops up.
  4. Filter Expression: SUCK Kill Action: Delete Expire this filter in 365 days.
  5. Apply

This will filter on the subject, but it is case-sensitive. You can specify the filter only work on rec.woodworking, which is what I do.

I recall the good times when the wreck was all informative, unusually polite, and much cleaner than a beer tavern.

Reply to
Phisherman

Amen, Phish

-Doug