Rubbing Waterlox

OK, experts. It's not on the can, or if it is, the type is smaller than I can read anymore. Four coats of Waterlox Original, Medium sheen, brushed and padded onto filled, stained red oak. Looks pretty decent, seeing as it isn't cherry, or maple, or walnut, or mahogany, or honey locust.

How long do I wait before waxing with Briwax or similar? Or is there another qualifier/test this should pass, if not time? The table is sitting in my den, because I'm rearranging the garage/shop/studio/garbage dump.

By the way, I'll use this Waterlox stuff again. It seems to be exactly the proper finishing method for the easily distracted woodworker. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:07:18 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

Paint would have been just as easy. It'd have covered that stain, too. BTW, HF has magnifier headsets for $5, Gramps. DAMHIKT

don't forget the hardcapped knee pads for $3.49, the 16" aloonimum dustpan for $6.99, the headlamps at $1.27 each (GET TEN! They're really, really handy.)

I'd wait at least a week. Take it in the house after 24-36 hours, use it after another 24, wax it a week later. The warmer home will help it finish hardening. I degloss and wax (Johnson's paste) at the same time with Liberon 0000 steel wool. (Another great product.)

Right, the stuff is easy to apply (rag on, Grasshoppah), easy to level or denib (2 swipes with 320/400 grit, 2 with a clean towel), and easy to degloss/wax (1 minute with-grain strokes on, 1 minute WGS off, Grasshoppah). A note of caution if brushing: It dries quickly so warm the can of finish in the sink in a bowl of hot water to make sure it's thin (I wouldn't thin it directly) and warm the wood it goes on so it stays thing. Apply like that poly crap: don't overbrush. (or it'll leave non-leveling ridges. DAMHIKT (I _always_ rag on now.)

The stuff is absolutely amazing. It goes on as easily as straight oil, pops the grain like nothing else, hardens against moisture like that P-word stuff, and touches up so easily. What more could you ask for?

2-3 coats leaves the wood feeling like WOOD: warm and inviting.

Try this with the P-word stuff: Shake vigorously, then apply at once. No bubbles!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Reply to
Larry Jaques