Rubber magnets to seal my contractors table saw?

I finally bought a dust collector. It is marvelous on my router table, but doesn't do much on my table saw. That is not entirely unexpected because there are so many big opening in it. I have heard about using sheets of rubber magnets to seal the opening, but can't find a source for them.

Has anyone tried this? Do you know where they are available?

Or, are there other suggestions? thanks

Reply to
Toller

Sorry I don't have any pics. But I made three seals using 1/4" partical board, 3/4" thick foam, and small blocks of wood for handles. Using a bandsaw cut the particle board 1/4" larger all around than the opening. (I made paper pencil rubbings as templates.) Cut the foam slightly smaller, but slightly larger than the opening to get a good fit. Glue the foam to the particle board and glue a small handle to the other side of the particle board. Allow the glue to fully cure before using. These work great doing 90-degree rips. But when I tilt the blade, the seal falls onto the floor. The magnetic sheets should work too--try the craft section in WalMart.

Reply to
Phisherman

The material is called "flexible magnetic sheeting" and is commonly found at sign shops. Here's one source:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

Check with a local insurance company or realtor as they give them away with a calendar or some sort of advertising, also check with a local company that sells advertising giveaways as they would have samples.

Reply to
Harvey

At craft stores, they sell magnetic tape. It's made out of the same stuff that they put on the back of refrigerator magnets, with adhesive on one side.

What I did was to cut a piece of 1/8" mas>I finally bought a dust collector. It is marvelous on my router table, but

john carlson

I have seen these rubber magnets at Staples, the office supply store. I believe they are intended to be used as business cards that can stick to the refrigerator. They come in packages of 50? (100?) and I think the package was $10~$15. I had a similar thought to use these magnets cards to cover the various opening on my SuperSaw to improve the dust collector's suction.

Reply to
Jim Giblin

Reply to
Ben Fox

Reply to
Toller

The big box stores sell magnetic sheeting in approx 8x16 inch pieces to put over heating vents. generally found close to the heating duct stuff or air filters. Good for lots of apps.

mpm

Michael Moorman Durham NC

Reply to
michael moorman

I bevel so seldom I just cover up the slot with 3M blue tape. A more elegant solution is to get rubber material and slit it for the trunion crank rod (not sure of the correct term!)

dave

Toller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

no magnetic qualities at all, so back they go.

Do you know of this DickBlick stuff is any better? Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

I think I bought some at Michaels craft store, once.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:36:32 GMT, "Toller" brought forth from the murky depths:

Usually. If in doubt, get thee to an Orifice Depot or Stapulls and grab a batch of 25 doublestick magnet business card backs. They're fairly thick and worked well for Dina's covers. She's very holy; from the 1920s when open tools were the standard.

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How about Velcro?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I was going to say that the edge gap would be too big, but it just might suck down enough to work. I have some PSA velco gathering dust, so I will try it.

Reply to
Toller

Here's another option instead of the magnets and it'll work with the blade tilted:

picture isn't the best, but its basically a piece of cloth that attaches to the back of the saw. It has an opening in the center with a drawsting to cinch it around the belt guard a motor bracket. There is enough extra material to allow slack for the motor to tilt.

This one fits saws similar to the gerneral 50-175, but I'm sure a homemade solution could be made for other saws.

Reply to
smd