Rubber magnets to seal my contractors table saw?

I finally bought a dust collector. It is marvelous on my router table, but doesn't do much on my table saw. That is not entirely unexpected because there are so many big opening in it. I have heard about using sheets of rubber magnets to seal the opening, but can't find a source for them.
Has anyone tried this? Do you know where they are available?
Or, are there other suggestions? thanks

Sorry I don't have any pics. But I made three seals using 1/4" partical board, 3/4" thick foam, and small blocks of wood for handles. Using a bandsaw cut the particle board 1/4" larger all around than the opening. (I made paper pencil rubbings as templates.) Cut the foam slightly smaller, but slightly larger than the opening to get a good fit. Glue the foam to the particle board and glue a small handle to the other side of the particle board. Allow the glue to fully cure before using. These work great doing 90-degree rips. But when I tilt the blade, the seal falls onto the floor. The magnetic sheets should work too--try the craft section in WalMart.
Toller wrote:

The material is called "flexible magnetic sheeting" and is commonly found at sign shops. Here's one source:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz289/21/products.asp?param=0&ig_id (00

no magnetic qualities at all, so back they go.
Do you know of this DickBlick stuff is any better? Thanks.
forth from the murky depths:

Usually. If in doubt, get thee to an Orifice Depot or Stapulls and grab a batch of 25 doublestick magnet business card backs. They're fairly thick and worked well for Dina's covers. She's very holy; from the 1920s when open tools were the standard.
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

How about Velcro?
Barry

suck down enough to work. I have some PSA velco gathering dust, so I will try it.
Check with a local insurance company or realtor as they give them away with a calendar or some sort of advertising, also check with a local company that sells advertising giveaways as they would have samples.
At craft stores, they sell magnetic tape. It's made out of the same stuff that they put on the back of refrigerator magnets, with adhesive on one side.
What I did was to cut a piece of 1/8" masonite to fit over the back of the saw (cut out to clear the belt and other protrusions) then put this tape around the edges of the cover so it sticks onto the saw magnetically. When I need to tilt the blade, I take the cover off temporarily.

The only way to effectively collect dust on a table saw is to install a blade guard with dust collector. Most of the dust that becomes airborne on a table saw is on top of the board being cut. I installed a blade guard from Penn State on my new Unisaw and with the 4" rear outlet on the saw and the dust hood on the blade guard I don't have any dust on the floor or in the air. The Penn State guard is the least expensive I've found and is well made. Of course there are times it has to be removed such as ripping very thin strips of wood,but it comes off with 1 threaded knob. Ben fox

I have seen these rubber magnets at Staples, the office supply store. I believe they are intended to be used as business cards that can stick to the refrigerator. They come in packages of 50? (100?) and I think the package was $10~$15. I had a similar thought to use these magnets cards to cover the various opening on my SuperSaw to improve the dust collector's suction.

The big box stores sell magnetic sheeting in approx 8x16 inch pieces to put over heating vents. generally found close to the heating duct stuff or air filters. Good for lots of apps.
mpm

Michael Moorman Durham NC
I bevel so seldom I just cover up the slot with 3M blue tape. A more elegant solution is to get rubber material and slit it for the trunion crank rod (not sure of the correct term!)
dave
Toller wrote:

Toller wrote:

I think I bought some at Michaels craft store, once.
--
Chris Merrill