Roy Underhill injured again.

Page 1 of 2
I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood threads.
On 18/09/2006 4:27 PM, Tom wrote:

When he threaded his finger, were the threads male or female? I wonder which would hurt worse?
Of course Roy is injured again, it's another day. I do not think that I have ever seen him with out a band aid some where.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:20:41 GMT, "Leon"

He's the Les Nessman of the woodworking shows.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Hardhats are in order if he ever conducts a "turkey drop".
Leon wrote:

Just as Mike Holmes advertises for Dewalt and Norm Abrahms hawks for Delta (or PC or whoever), Roy Underhill advertises for Johnson & Johnson.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Tom wrote:

One time he taped a whole show with the chuck end of a spade bit sticking out of his head.

You know, I just had to come back to this post. It's 5 minutes since I first read it and I'm still laughing. Thanks!
--
Every complicated problem has a simple solution that doesn't work.

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
What show is this????This sounds like a must see so as I know what not to do...lol

Lee, it's "The Woodwright's Shop" (http://www.pbs.org/wws /) and without a doubt is it a must-see.
You might not learn what not to do though. Last week I smiled when close to the end of the show he finally noticed the cut I'd been watching since halfway through. "Look at that; I've cut myself again." He seemed annoyed, as if he thought he was on a roll for a new record (an entire show without cutting himself), and missed it again.
- Owen -

found it.
Thanks
Dave

Not on any DishNetwork stations per se. It's a PBS program and not all PBS stations carry it. If you're eligible to get the PBS National Feed (hard to do with so many local channel markets now available), it's on there. Otherwise, you'll have to get the local channel package for your area and hope the local PBS operator carries it. I get three PBS stations in my local package, and only one carries Roy.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

On the SF Bay DirecTV package, there are a lot more PBS stations. Only one has Roy right now, and the series is from 2005. Maybe that will change soon.
Beats the heck out of cable, though.
Patriarch
Look into digital TV. By 2009 regular TV will not be broadcast any more so the conversion is in progress. With digital broadcast often PBS will have 3 sub channels of broadcast.
You can get cards to plug into your PC and hook up your antenna and watch the digital TV on your PC.
I think it will be great when everything is switched over, I live in a deep fringe area and I get fuzzy reception with regular TV and with digital it has a "cliff" effect, if you can get any signal it will be clear. Yahoo no cable, no dish and best of all no monthly bill.
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
LRod wrote:

Well shiite. I get NYC and Philadelphia PBS stations (and Trenton, NJ, for that matter). None of them carries this show, and those are two big-market areas.
Mark
Now here's a very scary thought. Imagine for a minute, Roy Underhill, in a modern day woodworking shop full of power tools. They would have to dedicate an entire emergency room staffed with surgeons and lots and lots of blood on hand for transfusions.

If anyone has not watched Roy Underhill, they should. I find it amazing see what can be done with just a hatchet and chisel. He does things with simple tools, that we think we need equipment costing hundreds of dollars to do.
I have been a fan of Roy's since I watched him go out in the woods, find the right tree, cut it down, and then, when it is in the shop, split two 2X 12 from the log using a wedges. He used the planks to make the carving horse he uses in his current shows.
We forget in this "safe at any cost" society what it was like to do simple jobs 100 years ago. I believe anyone using those tools and techniques that would also be a walking advertisement for Johnson and Johnson. Have you ever watched a blacksmith working around a forge?
Ed Walsh wrote:

keith_nuttle wrote:

The guy is amazing. Great talent. I think a lot of his injuries occur because he's trying to do things fast for the TV. He's also narrating what he does, which is quite distracting. But yes, it's reality TV at it's best.
My guess is that he has a lot fewer accidents when he's doing work at his own pace and off camera.

"Real" reality TV will occur when they actually show one of his injuries happening.
Upscale wrote:

Jess.S