Roy Underhill has another case of bunged up fingers

Page 2 of 2

I doubt it. He'd probably go over, get some willow bark or something, and sew it up right there, explaining his technique.

Yup, got blood all over the work as I recall. I also remember him tossing (a chair?) over his shoulder when he screwed it up beyond saving. "OK, we're going to do something else now" or something.

Actually, I think the "homespun linen" thing would be more of a Martha type thing.
Dave Hinz

No timeouts. Frank Klausz told us he builds in realtime.

Yep, Roy explained it all Saturday. Said he wasn't doing any work at all. He just reached into a sack and grabbed a draw knife. He said about cut his dern finger off. He apologzed several times for his stitches showing up in the camera tight shots.
Gary

Yeah I saw that episode and had a chuckle. I caught an episode awhile back that showed all the different injuries he has inflicted upon himself during the filming of the show. Hilarious. In one, he was hammering a nail I think and smacked his thumb. He let go of the hammer to grab his thumb with his other hand and the hammer hit him on the toe. He was jumping around holding his foot and shaking his other hand.
I really do like his show, but I have often wondered if he is as clumsy when the camera isn't running. Probably not
Frank
Ace wrote:

The Les Nesman of the woodworking world. I hope his enthusiasm continues to overcome the price he pays, in skin and blood, for his obvious love of working with his hands.
charlie b

Well, maybe for the ever present bandaid (I've often wondered how many people noticed that), but in terms of competence, that's extremely unfair. More News and Les Nesman was a buffoon. Roy Underhill is very accomplished if in no other venue than the production of his show. But he has plenty of other bonafides besides his on-air skill. He may look haphazard and rushed, but some of those things he does aren't all that easy, yet he whistles through them reasonably competently with out even getting winded. Remember, he's not trying to come up with a finished project; he's demonstrating methods and techniques.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Yeah, pretty gruesome line of stitches spiraling down his right index finger. He explained that he had reached into a bag of drawknives. Ouch.
One thing's for certain - and it has always impressed me - Roy *knows* how to scary sharpen all his tools. His bench chisels appear to slice almost effortlessly, his turning chisels work great considering the coordination and lathe movement required to get such a good cut, and his hand saws cut very, very quickly.
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."

Huh?
A *bag* of drawknives?
Why would someone have a bag of drawknives?
"I need a razor blade"
"Here! Grab one out of my 'bucket o blades'!"
"Thanks... I mean OW!"

That's what I heard.
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."

How _else_ are you gonna carry a bunch 'o drawknives? ;-)
(OK, it _does sound dumber than a sack of hammers...)
Patriarch
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 23:58:22 GMT, patriarch

I VERY much doubt that Roy would put a lot of nicely sharpened drawknives of HIS into a damned _sack_. If it were his sack, he'd know what was in there and act accordingly.
--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 23:58:22 GMT, patriarch <> wrote:

In your drawers, of course! :)
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:47:01 -0600, Dave Balderstone

"Bag" could mean a very nicely compartmented satchel with each drawknife in its own little leather-lined pocket.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
With Roy?
I don't think so.

The operative word, of course, is "could".

Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com