Roy Underhill has another case of bunged up fingers

Did any one notice that Roy again has his right index finger stitched up and

2 more blue finger nails on his left hand? I like him and enjoy watching him. I just wonder if in time he's going to lose one of his fingers. Is he a klutze or what?
Reply to
Ace

He does more than woodworking. He's a fan of timber framing, smithy work, and old machinery repair and reconditioning. Any of those will take a few chunks out of your knuckles.

That said, I'd wonder if he is as rapid and careless when working off-camera as he seems to be on. If so, he must regularly collect more than barked knuckles. Damn good thing he doesn't work like that with power tools.

Reply to
George

"Ace" wrote in news:yDbhd.349003$D%.52170@attbi_s51:

No, he's the housewright at Colonial Williamsburg, or some such living museum. As such, he is a working professional in a craft where such things happen.

And it is reported that he does his shows in one take, with no edits.

Wish I had his skills.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Yeah I saw that episode and had a chuckle. I caught an episode awhile back that showed all the different injuries he has inflicted upon himself during the filming of the show. Hilarious. In one, he was hammering a nail I think and smacked his thumb. He let go of the hammer to grab his thumb with his other hand and the hammer hit him on the toe. He was jumping around holding his foot and shaking his other hand.

I really do like his show, but I have often wondered if he is as clumsy when the camera isn't running. Probably not

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

No injury time outs?

Reply to
jo4hn

Probably if he had to get stitches he *might* interrupt it. Maybe.

I haven't seen him in years, but I remember him whopping himself with a chisel and then bleeding for the rest of the show.

I think he used a Band Aid on it instead of some homespun linen lined with sedge grass and jewel weed leaves, tied on with a gut thong though, so he's not a total Neander. :)

Reply to
Silvan

The Les Nesman of the woodworking world. I hope his enthusiasm continues to overcome the price he pays, in skin and blood, for his obvious love of working with his hands.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Well, maybe for the ever present bandaid (I've often wondered how many people noticed that), but in terms of competence, that's extremely unfair. More News and Les Nesman was a buffoon. Roy Underhill is very accomplished if in no other venue than the production of his show. But he has plenty of other bonafides besides his on-air skill. He may look haphazard and rushed, but some of those things he does aren't all that easy, yet he whistles through them reasonably competently with out even getting winded. Remember, he's not trying to come up with a finished project; he's demonstrating methods and techniques.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Yeah, pretty gruesome line of stitches spiraling down his right index finger. He explained that he had reached into a bag of drawknives. Ouch.

One thing's for certain - and it has always impressed me - Roy *knows* how to scary sharpen all his tools. His bench chisels appear to slice almost effortlessly, his turning chisels work great considering the coordination and lathe movement required to get such a good cut, and his hand saws cut very, very quickly.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Huh?

A *bag* of drawknives?

Why would someone have a bag of drawknives?

"I need a razor blade"

"Here! Grab one out of my 'bucket o blades'!"

"Thanks... I mean OW!"

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

That's what I heard.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

See. If he'd put tobacco into the hole, stuffed it with spiderweb, and tied it off with some cloth, it woulda stopped bleeding right away; and prolly been healed by the end of the show.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Does he wear an assifidity bag do ya think? j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Gawd I hope not, that stuff stinks. The tobacco and spiderwebs work though. Back when, that's what we used. And honey or scorched milk as a disenfectant/anti-biotic.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Sounds like he's the sort of guy who'd look for some spiderweb and find himself a brown recluse.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Maybe, but he'd find a nice looking one. %-) If you get over here, and have the chance, check out Colonial Williamsburg.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Fly-by-Night CC wrote in news:onlnlowe- snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

How _else_ are you gonna carry a bunch 'o drawknives? ;-)

(OK, it _does sound dumber than a sack of hammers...)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Hey, I resemble that remark. Wish I'd have read about the tobacco & spiderweb cure before work today- instead I've got seven stitches in my forearm. Sometimes sh*t just happens! Especially when you're trying to hit a quota or (in the case of a tv show) fit a project into a set time span.

Reply to
Prometheus

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 23:58:22 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

I VERY much doubt that Roy would put a lot of nicely sharpened drawknives of HIS into a damned _sack_. If it were his sack, he'd know what was in there and act accordingly.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In your drawers, of course! :)

Reply to