Roy Underhill has another case of bunged up fingers

Page 1 of 2
Did any one notice that Roy again has his right index finger stitched up and 2 more blue finger nails on his left hand? I like him and enjoy watching him. I just wonder if in time he's going to lose one of his fingers. Is he a klutze or what?
He does more than woodworking. He's a fan of timber framing, smithy work, and old machinery repair and reconditioning. Any of those will take a few chunks out of your knuckles.
That said, I'd wonder if he is as rapid and careless when working off-camera as he seems to be on. If so, he must regularly collect more than barked knuckles. Damn good thing he doesn't work like that with power tools.

and

No, he's the housewright at Colonial Williamsburg, or some such living museum. As such, he is a working professional in a craft where such things happen.
And it is reported that he does his shows in one take, with no edits.
Wish I had his skills.
Patriarch
patriarch < wrote:

No injury time outs?
jo4hn wrote:

Probably if he had to get stitches he *might* interrupt it. Maybe.
I haven't seen him in years, but I remember him whopping himself with a chisel and then bleeding for the rest of the show.
I think he used a Band Aid on it instead of some homespun linen lined with sedge grass and jewel weed leaves, tied on with a gut thong though, so he's not a total Neander. :)
Silvan wrote:

See. If he'd put tobacco into the hole, stuffed it with spiderweb, and tied it off with some cloth, it woulda stopped bleeding right away; and prolly been healed by the end of the show.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Does he wear an assifidity bag do ya think?     j4
jo4hn wrote:

Gawd I hope not, that stuff stinks. The tobacco and spiderwebs work though. Back when, that's what we used. And honey or scorched milk as a disenfectant/anti-biotic.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Sounds like he's the sort of guy who'd look for some spiderweb and find himself a brown recluse.
Andy Dingley wrote:

Maybe, but he'd find a nice looking one. %-) If you get over here, and have the chance, check out Colonial Williamsburg.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Hey, I resemble that remark. Wish I'd have read about the tobacco & spiderweb cure before work today- instead I've got seven stitches in my forearm. Sometimes sh*t just happens! Especially when you're trying to hit a quota or (in the case of a tv show) fit a project into a set time span.
Prometheus wrote:

Sorry about that. The nicotine in the tobacco constricts the blood vessels and the spiderweb gives the PLTs a matrix to adhere to. The honey or scorched milk make enviroments that most bacteria can't grow in.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Really? I'd have thought that honey or milk (even scorched) would provide a medium for bacteria to thrive in. What's the mechanism that kills or stops bacteria in those media?

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:58:51 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I'd never heard about scorched milk before but in honey it's a combination of the high sugar content and the natural preservatives the bees put in it. That's why honey will keep for years as long as it's undiluted.
--RC

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. --Friedrich Nietzsche
Never get your philosophy from some guy who ended up in the looney bin. -- Wiz Zumwalt
Preservatives in the honey. Or, if you prefer, "natural" antibacterials. Been used for wound treatment as far back as documentation exists.
Never heard of the milk trick. I know that lard and other occlusives with a bit of activated charcoal (soot) have been used to "draw" wounds.
wrote:

provide

Interesting. Thinking about how honey does keep, it makes sense.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

It's odd isn't it. They're OLD rememdies. Apparently it's a situation where a little bit is good but alot makes it bad. I can't explain it very well, and I'm not seriously suggesting it as a way to deal with cuts, it was intended as tongue in cheek with a hint of the truth. I first heard about it when I was a kid, then read the same thing in my copy of _The Practical Nurse_ by Flo. Nightengale. I talked to some of the older nurses at work and they backed it up with anecdotal evidence.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

I'm gonna have to keep that in mind- I get lots of little scrapes and dings all the time...

Learn something new every day. Gawd I love this news group!
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. --Friedrich Nietzsche
Never get your philosophy from some guy who ended up in the looney bin. -- Wiz Zumwalt
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 09:56:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com calmly ranted:

Get thee to a library and check out all 10 or so volumes of "Foxfire". They're great! Country/mountain wisdom collected by school kids for a long-running project.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown