Routing technique difficulcty

I am baffled by a routing problem I have and wondered if anyone else had "been there" too.
I am routing out an ovular opening on a piece of ply using a template guide and the foot plate of the router (not a bearing guide).
When I commence the rout I plunge into the center of the oval (waste) then move to the edge to be cut and complete the rout. When inspecting the new hole the point where the bit first touched the proper cut line has an out-dent beyond where the template should allow the cut to go.
The base of the router has good support all the way round so it appears unlikely that the bit is cutting at anything other than 90 degrees to the surface.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be happening?
Thank You
Rod
Likely that you tipped the router. Probably didnt sneak up on the template and hit it too hard.

Rod wrote...

Might have been caused by the router bit not being in the exact center of the router baseplate. This is common. Try this. Put a marker (sticky dot works fine; so does a pencil or grease pen) somewhere on the edge of the router baseplate. After plunging into the waste, approach the edge obliquely in the appropriate direction -- counterclockwise -- and make sure the marked point on the baseplate contacts the template. As you cut, always keep the mark on the template. This means you'll be rotating the router. If this is too clumsy for you (it is not natural or easy), then at least make sure that the marked point is back on the template as you approach the spot where the router first contacted with the template.
Cheers!
Jim
The router collet may not be perfectly centered with respect to your router base. (I'm assuming your router has a round base from your description) If that's the case you can try keeping the router oriented the same all the way around the cut or, or you may be able to adjust the difference out, depending on hopw your router base mounts.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Thank you all very much -the collet was indeed slightly off-center wrt the base plate. Your suggestions cured the problem.