Routing question for a pipe rack

Can anyone tell me how one goes about routing the shallow depressions in a pipe stand where the bowls of the pipes rest? It's not a uniform depth, so I baffled as to how this is done.

Gerry

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.

aaakkk! here's a quandary for me. my grampa smoked pipes for decades- I got to watch him die a slow horrible death from cancer. but I know the answer to your question. and I believe that we all have the right to engineer our own demise. so if you really want to die a slow horrible death, and smell really bad doing it, I guess I'll tell you how to rout those non-uniform depressions....

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I got to watch my mother die the same death at 62 /and/ /she/ /never/ /smoked/ /a/ /pipe/. I've also known smokers who lived into their eighties so let's leave out the preaching. Do you want to share your woodworking tip or did you just want to jump on this opportunity to voice an unsolicited opinion?

Gerry

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.

I'm sorry if I'm going to sound a bit thick, but I'm not sure I understand. The bottom of the groove needs to be curved lengthwise and widthwise as though an egg could rest in it. Your ramp jig sounds to me like it would not give a curve in either direction, or am I missing something here?

Gerry

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.

You are quite correct. The ball cutter, fed at an angle, will give the shape the OP was after though it will likely take a bigger ball.

Reply to
CW