Routing plywood

I need a little advice. I want to build a blanket chest using mostly plywood. I've thought about using a "joint cutting bit" in a router to create the 90 degree slots in which to join the corners; I'd like to conceal the plywood edges. Would this work? If so, what kind of bit is recommended?

Your advice is very much appreciated...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Nail

I used a lock miter on plywood with no problem. Did not get any blow out. Make nice 90's. You need a variable speed router and a table with a high fence. Feather boards help to keep the stock against the fence.

Reply to
Bob Gramza

It would probably work, but I might question the overall strength of the chest. A better plan is to use grooved rails and stiles with ply panels.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've been tempted by this idea myself. If you try it, post the results.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

I actually built several drawers for custom-built cabinets in my woodshop. The drawers varied in size from just 4 inches high X 14 inches deep to 19 inches high X 25 inches deep. All drawer fronts and backs were joined to their sides via half-blind dovetails and all were made of 3/7 inch Lauan plywood. I used the PC 24-inch jig (part of the reason for this project was to teach myself how to use the jig). That was about 4 years ago and all of the cabinets have been holding-out quite well since; many have been storing heavy hand tools, blades, etc.

Now, understand that, visually, without the, sometimes, liberal and imaginative, use of wood putty, they wouldn't be a pretty sight. There was a fair amount of tear-out but mostly on the top veneer. For "indoor" furniture projects, I'd recommend using "real" wood for an attractive, and durable, outcome.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Fabre