Routing melamine

I have a router table that I'd like to add a T-Track miter slot to. Other than trimming laminate, I've never tried to put a dado in a melamine top. I'm concerned that the bit might crack the melamine rather than cut it. Should I adjust the bit speed or just let 'er rip with a 3/4 straight bit.
Anyone have any hints on this for me?
Thanx,
Vic Baron
--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't
Vic Baron wrote:

Yes: Learn how to use a router an d you won't have such silly questions.

PLONK bozo!
Pop` wrote:

I come here for a bunch of reasons. Initially, it was to learn techniques, and that still happens, but my main reason for being here most of the time is a sense of community amongst people who have similar interests.
Not similar levels of talent by any means. The range in here is from absolute newcomer to everything, to wizened old master who knows more in his thumb than I'll ever hope to know.
What I don't come here for (and thankfully it happens very rarely) is that know-it-all-but-don't-help-anyone attitude that was shown in Pop's response to Vic.
I'll say it again, Vic. Most of the people in here who have an ounce of talent are more than willing to help anyone who's interested in helping themselves. Which you seem to be.
I'm not gonna plonk ya Pop. Not yet. I'd miss too much. But I can be a PITA sometimes too.
You have a good day now.
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

Aw, I take it from the source. I've found loots of helpful folk here thru the years and an occasional dork like pop. I've survived worse. What's funny is, I have and know how to use about 6 different routers - I just have never dealt with melamine or formica before. Rather ask and look stupid than ruin a nice tabletop and feel stupid.
Vic

It was told to me more than once, You don't know till you ask! Gotta overlook a lot of things in life.

<snip>
One doesn't HAVE to ask. One can do stupid things all on one's own.
This I know from personal experience. ;-)
Patriarch, learning every day...

LOL SWEET!!!! Know xactly wut ya meen!!!

ROFLMAO!
Vic
Vic Baron wrote: <snip>

Actually, if you'd DAGS, you could minimize temptation to folks to give you response you don't approve of.
Or, lighten up and deal gracefully with consequences of laziness.
If you want to be judgemental, what would you expect in return?
Can be done without much ado, probably in one pass, carbide required. Or not at all, see pix link for temporary non-insulting way to accommodate miter gage:
http://www.patwarner.com/images/mitergage.jpg
Use MDF to trap blade. ************************** http://www.patwarner.com (Routers) ***************************************************************************** Vic Baron wrote:

Thanx Pat. Just didn't want any surprises.
Vic

I've routed melamine a number of times with no problems. Make sure you have a good, sharp, carbide bit. For a 3/4" bit, stick with top speed. If you're still concerned, you could stick a melamine blade in your table saw (assuming that you have both) and run the top against your rip fence to define the sides. I'd still finish cleaning it out with a router to keep the bottom nice and flat.

One trick I use for laminates is to make your first pass just barely touch the surface (say 1/64" or so deep for Formica, just "kissing" the surface for melamine). That way, the laminate has as much support under it as possible for that first critical cut.

Good point. I'll give that a try!
Thanx,
Vic
Router will have no problem, but the bit will dull VERY quickly if you use it a lot for melamine. That is a VERY hard finish.
Vic Baron wrote:

Vic Baron wrote:

A router bit - one without a skewed edge - doesn't tend to chip melamine like a saw blade. The saw blade is pushing the melamine down and that cracks it; the router bit is cutting parallel to the surface, no "push". Still, the plastic *will* chip from time to time. A very shallow pass just cutting the melamine followed by full depth should work.
--

dadiOH

Did that on my table. I put grooves at each long side to lay in some T-track. Great for fence and jig hold downs. I also cut a miter slot pependicular to the T-track although it dosn't get much use. Should have put in another T-track for featherboard (etc) hold down.
I did the cuts in one pass moving fairly slowly. Maybe should have cut in 2 or more passes to make it easier on the bit and router. I was going through the melamine (formica) and 3/4 MDF.
Pete

Thanx, Pete. That's exactly what I'm doing. Mainly need it for horizontal featherboard. I'll probably use an Hitachi M-12V but still make at least two passes.
Vic