routing chamfer without tear out?

I want to route a chamfer onto the trim of blanket chest I just finished. Any tips on how to avoid tear out? I was thinking of clamping scrap wood on each 90 deg corner...will this work?
Thanks.

Sharp bit, rout the endgrain first.
I climb cut about 1-2" on endgrain then route typical direction for balance.
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:09:11 -0500, "Eric Ryder"

Absolutely- Provided the scrap is flush with the top of your stock
Yep. Securely clamped backup stock should do the trick.

Sharp router bit small cuts Do the end grain first, then with the grain clamping the scrap wood could help Try it on scrap wood first Scott
Won't prevent much tearout but will let you make a circumnavigation without tipping:
http://www.patwarner.com/images/pc_makita2.jpg
Tear prevention: Some tips here: http://www.patwarner.com/tearout.html ************************************************************************