routing across grain on walnut

I'm finishing up a cutting board that has walnut band around the outside with endgrain up. I'm wanting to cut a 3/4" radius cove along the bottom of the outside edges perpendicular to the grain. I know it needs to be done in multiple passes. My question is this...should I raise the bit for each pass or should I move the fence and let it in from the side?
--
"If you are arrogant, who's going to care if you're the best?"

I'd raise the bit. Tom >Subject: routing across grain on walnut

Someday, it'll all be over....
And I'd use a backer board of scrap to help eliminate the tear-out. Tom .>Subject: Re: routing across grain on walnut

I'd suggest using a radius bit with a bearing, and going it in one pass.

You also want to begin each pass across the grain in the opposite direction a half inch or so, so that the cutter will not tear out the corner.