Routing a perfect insert rebate.

Can anyone offer advice to the best way to make a perfect inside cut from and outside template? Specifically, how to make a perfect hole to recieve a router table insert.
All I can think of is using a small guide bushing to make a secondary template with a bigger hole than the insert (or I guess I could just use a trimmer/template follower), and then a bigger bushing to make the final hole exactly the right size for the original insert.
I guess this would work OK but it sounds elaborate. Is there a better way?
Regards
How about stacking the old insert and the new insert and running a straight bit with a roller?

JackD wrote:

He needs to cut the hole for the insert, not make another insert.
I'm lurking because I need to do the same, moving my drill press sanding drum table to a new, bigger DP.
-- Mark

Nevermind...
-Jack
Depending on the size you are looking doe try a hole saw and then a spindle sander

You've got the right idea. Rout a female from the male, small collar to bit distance. Use female with greater collar to bit distance to make the opening.

Steely Stan wrote:

I would use a template bit (i.e bearing on top) to make a template with a hole bigger than the insert, then use a bushing to offset a straight bit by the width of the template bit to create the desired hole.
Shawn
What if you used the template you have and make another "inside" template from it. Then using the new template use a straight trim bit with an oversize bearing. eg if you use a 1/4" bit to cut the new template the new template is going to be 1/2" to big. Use a 1/4" trim bit with a 1/2" guide bearing to make the final. Does this make any sense?
Erik

Your all missing something, When you use the insert to make the female hole at some point towards the end of the cut the peice falls out creating an imperfect hole, the entire concept is correct if he has drawer full of bearing, collars and feelers etc.etc. Quite an elaborate undertaking for a little insert.

Put your router table insert on your router table in the position you want it to be. Using double sided tape fix 4 pieces of timber, MDF, etc (wide enough to support the router - about 4") tightly around the insert. The length of the timber should be the length of your insert plus about 4", thickness depends on length of the router bit you are going to use. Butt the end of one piece against the side of the other piece. Remove the router insert. You have now created an inside template. Using a 1/2" straight bit with a top bearing the same size as the bit, rout out the hole to the depth of the insert. Change to a larger bearing or use a template guide bush or jigsaw/sabre saw to remove the rest of the waste material. Perfect fit.

My additions below.

Measure the inside diameter of the hole in your router table. Then use a circle-cutting jig for the router to cut a hole of the size you want.
If you have a template guide for your router base, the circle jig is easy to make -- or you can buy one.
Adam

I recently made mine table top with a circular insert. To make the table top hole, I make a template with 1/4 plywood that fit the insert and use the template and pattern bit to route the hole on the table top. The thin plywood allow you to test and adjust the fit by hand sanding.