Routing a groove length of a 2x4

Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)

2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

MJ

Reply to
mjmwallace

Either a router table with a fence, or a dado stack in the table saw ... depends on what you have.

Personally, I would go for the dado stack on the TS, but I'm set up to do that quicker, but either will work.

Reply to
Swingman

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news:8b513385-ed8c- snipped-for-privacy@y28g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Multiple passes on the table saw would get the job done more quickly than setting up a router or dado, if it's a one-shot job.

Scott

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

You could do it with a circular saw and a sawboard. With the right blade you can get excellent results and it pretty much eliminates splintering. You'd just have to take a couple of passes and move the sawboard a bit for the second cut.

RicodJour

Swingman wrote in news:tqidnaSetM7qE1fXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

3/8" wide would only be 3-4 passes with a standard blade. No dado stack needed.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Either router table or table saw (no dado).

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

If this is a one-time job, I could make 3 or 4 passes on my table saw and be done with it in less time than it takes to get out the router, put in a bit and adjust it, and plug it in. YMMV.

Reply to
Larry W

Tablesaw. Probably I would not bother with a dado blade, a few passes and you're done. To perfectly center the groove, flip the board.

Reply to
Phisherman