Routing a groove length of a 2x4

Seems to me that this is job for a router table.
Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet) 2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.
Thoughts, recommendations?
MJ
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Either a router table with a fence, or a dado stack in the table saw ... depends on what you have.
Personally, I would go for the dado stack on the TS, but I'm set up to do that quicker, but either will work.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

3/8" wide would only be 3-4 passes with a standard blade. No dado stack needed.
Puckdropper
"Puckdropper" <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in message wrote:

Either router table or table saw (no dado).

Multiple passes on the table saw would get the job done more quickly than setting up a router or dado, if it's a one-shot job.
Scott

You could do it with a circular saw and a sawboard. With the right blade you can get excellent results and it pretty much eliminates splintering. You'd just have to take a couple of passes and move the sawboard a bit for the second cut.
http://www.rochesterwoodworkers.org/JunkDrawer/Sawboard.pdf

If this is a one-time job, I could make 3 or 4 passes on my table saw and be done with it in less time than it takes to get out the router, put in a bit and adjust it, and plug it in. YMMV.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 17:21:36 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Tablesaw. Probably I would not bother with a dado blade, a few passes and you're done. To perfectly center the groove, flip the board.