Routing a Channel

I am wanting to use my router table to create a channel in the back of an artist easel I am building. This allows the easel to adjust to different size frames. The channel is a 1/2" wide by 4' long cutout centered in a 3/4 x 2-1/2 by 5' peice of stock. In the past I have attempted to use a 1/4" straight cutting bit removing 1/8" of material at eaxch pass with mixed (and unpredictable) results.

My question is this: Is there a better way to go than the straight cutting bit. Is an Onserud bit the right (better) bit for this operation.

Thanks (again) in advance, Bernie.

Reply to
Bernie

When I started woodworking I had a Cra**man 1/4" router, and I built a router table for it. Since I didn't (and still don't) have a joiner and planer, the stock I work with isn't perfectly straight and true. It's difficult to do a multi-pass router session with wild stock and get good results. However, a router bit of the desired width (usually ;-) works fine.

If you want a 1/2" channel, I suggest you get a 1/2" bit. Over time I bought a 1/2" router and these two bit sets have done me well:

?itemnumber=C1701If all you have is a 1/4" router, these will work:
(After a couple minutes of searching I can't find the 1/4" shank by 1/2" cutting bit or I'd give a URL.)

HTH.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I'd use a dado set in a table saw to cut the groove, then clean it up with one pass of a 1/2" bottom-cutting bit in the router.

Doug Miller

Routing out a groove that narrow with a small diameter bit can be hairy and I've done it. If I get your description, the 'groove' is more of a slit that goes through the material? If that is the case, I would suggest you rip the 5' board in two and glue them back together with half inch wood spacers at the ends leaving the groove in the mid portion of the board. You could also plunge cut the slit with a circular saw like I've seen Norm do. If I've got this all wrong..then 'scuse me. Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote