Routers

Page 1 of 3
Hi Folks, I don't get in here often at all, and maybe this has been hashed over already. Is there a decent router in the $100 - $125 range for a beginner? I have a few ideas I'd like to try with a router, but I don't want to sink too much money for something that might not get used much and wind up taking up space in the garage. I know you get what ya pay for so I don't want to buy a cheap one that won't hold up and start to fall apart after a little use, like my Harbor Freight cut out tool did.
Thanks In Advance, Stan
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Satn -
Try this: http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_KM12VC_2-14_Peak_HP_Variable_Speed_FixedPlunge_Base_Router_Kit_ (Reconditioned)___i307.aspx
For me, it was less than $110 shipped, and has proven to be a very good machine.
The URL doesn't seem to want to post correctly - you might have to copy & paste, because a simple click just takes you to the main page - it's supposed to take you to the sub-page for this particular item - I dunno why it won't post properly.
-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........
On Jun 25, 2:24 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

As long as you honestly understand that concept....
Sears has a nice beginning router set that is supposed to be a fair bargain, especially at your price point. The really good thing about Sears is you can take it back with no squabbles if you don't like it.
If you want a plunger, there are a lot of nice features and reviews on this one:
http://tinyurl.com/53oq2x
Plunge and standard base kit:
http://tinyurl.com/4ouhhw
A variable speed soft start router with work lights and two different collets under a $100 (who knew there was such an animal?):
http://tinyurl.com/4h7jfu
I talk with a lot of homeowners that have Craftsman tools, probably because of the features to pricepoint consideration. None of them seem unhappy, but none of them are really hard (a few hours daily/2-3 days a week) users.
I think the point of consideration in buying one of these is a two fold: it might last you a long time depending on how much you use it, and you might be able to affordably get your feet wet with different machine features and with practical use of a router.
Don't worry... if you like and buy any of these routers you will be buying others anyway.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I think this is the first time I've seen the words Sears, router and nice used in the same sentence.
Sears routers are infamous for their "automatic random depth adjustment" feature.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Max wrote:

I still stop in at Sears more frequently than I'd like to exchange or have ratchets rebuilt. I'll agree that Sears does have a few decent tools. The majority of these tools are those made by major tool manufacturers and relabled with the "Craftsman" logo. I can usually find those tools under the manufactures brand at a better price.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

SNIP

Not just in vogue, absolutely stylish. Sometimes it reminds me of school kids that make fun of something because everyone else is doing it.
It is sad to see where that once proud name has fallen, but they seem to be doing better on many fronts now. Most importantly, I think they supply the weekend warrior of casual user a good value for the money these days. I like the fact they stand behind their product without fighting.
I still don't rely on them to make my living, but using my tools every day I have found just about as crappy quality and short useful as the worst of the group with any major manufacturer that I have used.
The only major tool maker I have never had a problem with is Milwaukee. But now, they too have joined the Chiawanese connection of manufacturing for some of their products, so they may wind up hit and miss as well.
I would like to see Sears take a little pride in their products and keep on trying to improve them.
Robert

Funny you mention that. I was considering newer cordless tools from them since my current 12v Milwaukee cordless drill has done so well for me. That is, until a dealer I trust told me that Milwaukee was sold overseas. Now I'm looking very closely at Dewalt instead.
Upscale wrote:

I'd take a look at the Makita BHP452HW. My neighbor bought one. Lot's of torque, light weight, and long lasting batteries with a 15 minute recharge.
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=BHP452HW
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Makita might work fine, but I recently got soured to them. I ordered a Makita trim router and it wasn't until two weeks later they told the dealer I ordered them from that the model I'd ordered had been discontinued. All the while it's still detailed on their website. Obviously, they knew a long time ago about discontinuing the model I wanted and they still let me sit for two weeks before saying anything.
Well, I read what everyone "said", and have been shopping around. It looks like the Hatichi routers are the way to go. I like the $59 one 'cause of the price but the KM12VC with two bases is the one. But, why is it that the cheaper ones at Lowe's (Fire Brand) and I think Craftsman, have the better features. Like a work light, and the trigger style power switch. I wish the better one's had this, but I'll pay more for quality. This is how new I am to all of this. I went to the library today and got a book on how to use a router. It gives me visions of router greatness LOL. Take Care Ya'll, Antree
On Jun 26, 11:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Hopefully, that is exactly what you are paying for. Like all the rest of the machines out there though, there is no "wonder machine" that has every feature every woodworker wants.

I think that is a fantastic idea. And with the popularity of the router in woodworking, there are a lot of really great books out there. You will find many more people willing to help you when they find you are making an effort like going to the library.
Robert

We had a bunch of Milwaukee cordless drills at work, and nothing but battery problems.

Newer models that are imported from overseas or older models? My 12v Milwaukee I bought almost 14 years ago and has worked quite well over that period with one rebuilding of the batteries about five years ago.
Nova wrote:

Dunno if I got lucky years ago (7 or 8), but I've been using my craftsman router a lot over the past week. I was afraid of the ARDA, but so far - knocking on wood) - after about 70 feet of dados (dog gates with trellis inserts, slots for T-bar in my router table that I never finished, etc) I've had zero variance on depth.
Then again, it's only 70 feet, and I've been haunting my local craigslist for a good deal on a PC combo kit.
If this craftsman holds its depth though, I'm just gonna leave it in the router table. The one thing I don't care for on it is *setting* the depth - the swirly/spinning guide is... not accurate. Find myself using a rule instead.
Jason Buckler Marietta, GA

Not all of them, some of them were made by Bosch.
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 02:24:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Sure!
Look for a Porter Cable 690 or Bosch 1617 reconditioned. I paid $90 for my last single speed 690 and $95 for the 1617.
Lookee here: <http://bosch.cpotools.com/reconditioned_tools/routers/router_combo_packs/1617pk-rt.html
A single speed 1617, with both bases, for $139.
You can also look for a plunge base on eBay or Craigslist for the units I mentioned in the second line. You can do LOTS with a single speed basic router.
You can make the NEXT router the heavy duty, high HP variable speed, plunger, as one router is never enough! <G>

I have four. And I have a luthier friend who has at least 10.
--Steve