Routers

Page 2 of 2
DonkeyHody wrote:

I recently got the DeWalt kit and it had a couple of things going for it. The base is attached with panhead screws with oversize recesses and a centering cone is provided. If mounted in a table, the body doesn't rotate as the ring is turned, so the controls and cord remain in the same place.
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 05:45:42 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@excite.com"

There are many kinds, brands, size, weights and features. You may want to check out a library book about routers. I'd stay away from off-brands or "bargain" routers. A 1/2" collet is better than a 1/4" if you plan on larger projects.
Phisherman wrote:

I'll second that on the 1/2" collet. I bought a B&D a few years ago and didn't do the research you're doing now - asking around. In my ignorance I ended up with a 1/4" collet.
In contrast to what others have said about cheaper brands, I'm pretty happy with the B&D, except for the collet size.
I also think that getting a decent router book will give you a solid grounding on what to look for. Plus it'll give you some hints 'n tips
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.
depends a bit on use..
for handheld.. < 3hp mostly to keep down the size and weight
for a table.. hard to beat the Triton 3.25hp..

I have this one that I use mostly for dados, mortises and tenons:
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productIDV01
I love it. I have an older 3 HP Ryobi router on my table. Honestly, the DeWalt is 2.5 HP but it seems more powerful. Maybe it's just my flawed perception.
Jeff

    Naw, you're probably right. Just because I paint "7 HP" on the side of a motor doesn't mean it pulls a REAL 7 HP when being used in the real world. It's kinda like gas mileage in that regard. Within motors of the same make, maybe it's a good barometer of which ones are more powerful than others. As a hard and fast rule of how powerful a motor REALLY is, well, numbers are a powerful marketing tool. But there's a lot more to a tool's operating power than the number they paint on the side of the case.
    Sean
--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys
typed on a million keyboards for a million years,
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 05:45:42 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

I have a Craftsman, Porter Cable 690, Skill, and just recently a Triton. While any of the first three will work, the 690 is my machine of choice almost every time. The 1/2 collet is a really good feature. I haven't had a chance to play with the Triton yet. I'm going to mount it in a table that is still in the planning stages. Maybe in the next month or two.
My Porter Cable has been a good unit, and I would recommend it.
D. G. Adams

My first post to this group so be gentle...
I have a 3hp Milwaukee for the router table (mod 5645).
For handheld routing I use a Dewalt kit with plunge and fixed base mod (618PK). Most of my handheld powertools are Dewalt and I like them a lot (planer, biscuit jointer and 5" orbital sander)
Both work great for me (beginner hobbyist), and I have no regrets, but if I had to do it again, I'd get the Dewalt kit that includes the D- handle base. For the router table I'd look at the 3 hp Porter- Cable.