Router with Oak

I have a half-wall next to some stairs in my home, which has an old painted pine top. I'd like to replace it with a 1x10 oak plank, and route the edges.
But I am concerned about the end-grain of the oak. Will I be able to successfully put a decorative routed edge on the end-grain, or will it chip and split?
Any tricks or advice would be appreciated.
: I have a half-wall next to some stairs in my home, which has an old painted : pine top. I'd like to replace it with a 1x10 oak plank, and route the : edges.
: But I am concerned about the end-grain of the oak. Will I be able to : successfully put a decorative routed edge on the end-grain, or will it chip : and split?
: Any tricks or advice would be appreciated.
I've done it several times with no chip out. It behaves like any other wood. All you have to do is observe the usual things like clamping sacrificial wood on the side so that the side/end of the oak isn't hanging out in the breeze.
--- Gregg
My woodworking projects:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html
Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm
Steambending FAQ with photos:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm
"Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558
Route the end grain first "AND" Route the corner that is likely to split out first "BUT" route in the wrong direction FIRST on that corner an inch or 2. When you route in the wrong direction at that corner of the end grain, the cutter is less likely to tear out the wood. Finish the rest of the routing in the correct direction and that will clean up any tear out that may have occurred.