Router use question

Page 1 of 2

I know this is elementary, but; If I am cutting a 1/4 inch radius (round over) on an oak board, using a router table and the router bit has a bearing, is there any reason to set up and use the fence? Pros and cons appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary
Hello Ivan, My router experience is minmal but I've never used a fence when I'm taking advantage of the router bit's bearing. If I decide to not use the full cut allowed by the bearing then I will use a fence. Marc
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

up
IME, with larger bits with bearings you can often get a smoother cut against a fence, and you can also use a backer board to keep any tearout on the ends of the cut to a minnimum, but with that small a roundover you can do it easily without a fence. Basically whatever is more convenient/comfortable for you.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

I find it easier to line up the fence with the bearing. Without the fence you need to feed the piece in to the bearing. With the fence it's a bit easier to just slide it along the fence.
Chris

This is exactly what I do.
I think if you don't use your fence with a bearing bit you SHOULD use a starter pin and ease the wood into the bit.
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 02:00:32 +0000, wrote:
I tried to surf your website but apparently you used a bunch of Flash for navigation ... there are only three working links on the index page. I'm pretty ceratin that there is a way to make all of your links visible to people who do not care to use Flash too.
Your choice, of course. My default browser for newsgroups is Konqueror on Mandrake Linux. It's fast and simple ... and plenty good for viewing standards-based websites.
The Stickley bed looks nice, though.
Bill
W Canaday wrote:

There is, but why not just use Flash plugin? If it's not installed already, it doesn't take long to install and it's so widespread and so much content is Flash-based it doesn't make a lot of sense to me not to use it. What am I missing?
Joe Barta
P.S. A note to webmasters... it's probably a good idea to provide traditional links somehow and somewhere so the seach engines can find all your pages. I'm almost certain that search engine indexing spiders cannot follow flash links.
Joe Barta wrote:

Because (I posted this the other day in response to the same website, which I'd like very much to enjoy!) Macromedia (oops, adobe!) has an onerous usage license.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

To save me the trouble of hunting down the license, reading through it and trying to determine what exactly bothers you, might you just tell me what you mean by "onerous usage license" and what exactly your worries are?
Joe Barta
Joe Barta wrote:

I'm forbidden from using it on a laptop/pda/tablet, and I must submit to an audit (ask Ernie Ball about that one!) for which I must pay all expenses for if I'm they find me to be in violation of their EULA.
Mind you, they used to require that you allow them to load any program they want onto your computer...
But it's still too much, and too hard not to be in violation.
Finding the EULA is easy enough... just google "flash" and "EULA".
There is some precedent for (albeit, some against) giving these "I agree" clicky thingies the legal force of a contract.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

Very interesting, but I think I'll continue to live dangerously and keep the Flash player. If I read all the fine print that comes with everything I've ever used or bought I think I'd be afraid to get up in the morning. I'm fool enough to leave my head buried in the sand and realistic enough not to let it bother me too much.
Joe Barta
Joe, you have the right attitude.

Why the hell is it that so many people believe that if a software company says something, it is law? Bullshit.

CW wrote:

It is a question of law, laws are being passed which 1) make these binding contracts and b) are ambiguous enough to pose a convenient threat to someone without the resources to fight a legal battle.
There are now laws that make it a criminal offense to violate copyright (previously the realm of the civil courts) while at the same time extending the rights of the holder to include restricting *how* you may view their published work. There are sinister and real threats because of this.
When you say "bullshit" do you mean what I'm saying is bullshit or are you expressing your disgust at what software (or whatever) companies are doing with the law?

er
--
email not valid

CW wrote:

Tell that to Ernie Ball:
<URL:http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html <URL:http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/11/27/021127hnerniball.html?s=IDGNS <URL:http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-02-26-desktop_x.htm
That's what you're letting yourself in for.
er
--
email not valid

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:27:05 +0000, Joe Barta wrote:

It may be widespread, but you really have to do your own stats analysis to see how many people are missing out on your content because of it.
I did a quick article on it back in 2002 in response to a discussion with a designer at my old company. I found that for a general site that had a Flash item on the page, only 71% of people had Flash installed.
Times may well have changed now (hence I'd say look at your own stats) but to miss out on over a quarter of your visitors is very ill-advised.
http://www.andyjeffries.co.uk/documents/flash_penetration.php
Cheers,
Andy
--
Andy Jeffries | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2
Andy Jeffries wrote:

I should clarify... when I said it makes sense to "use Flash", I meant as a web surfer browsing the internet, it made sense to use a Flash enabled browser.
I wasn't suggesting that it made sense to use Flash content on a web site. Although, even though I wasn't suggesting it, that doesn't mean I *wouldn't* suggest it. I think a little Flash on a web site can be a wonderful thing... as long as the webmaster understands the potential pitfalls and designs accordingly.
One potential pitfall is using Flash for vitals elements (such as navigation) without providing a regular html backup for non-Flash- enabled visitors.
Other pitfalls are more subjective... such as a really cheesy 3Mb Flash intro page with kewl robotic sounds for no other reason than to show the world you just learned how to make a Flash movie.
On a smaller scale, adding cheesy Flash trinkets to your site for no other reason than to add cheesy Flash trinkets to your site can also look a little silly. Be judicious in your use of Flash.
Note, this thread possibly started in reference to a woodworking site... so yes, it's most definitely on topic ;-)
Joe Barta
W Canaday wrote:

Hey, I just found this... haven't tried it yet, though:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash /
er
--
email not valid

It is not unusual for a pilot or pilot bearing to leave an impression in the wood. The fence helps guard against this. Also when cutting across the grain it is easier IMHO to back cut the corner with the aid of a fence. AND as some bearings age they tend to allow the cutter to cut a bit slight bit deeper than the bearing surface. Again, the fence helps prevent this.

My fence has a port for dust collecting. Even if I use the bearing I keep the fence close to have the chips sucked away.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/