Router turns the wrong direction

I have an older porter cable router Model 1002 that I purchased used. I went to use it and found out that the spindle turns the wrong direction. Thinking that I was going farther crazy, I looked at a couple of my other routers to make sure that is was wrong. Question is how can I correct the problem. This may or may not have been one that I put new bearings in, but anyways, I know how to take it apart, but I don't know how I could have goofed up the rotation.
Thanks for all replies!
I'm just taking a wild guess here but I remember some older electric motors... Plug it the other way around and see if it changes the direction.
Wally
On 23 Feb 2004 20:52:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ToolMiser) wrote:

If you can't switch the rotation back you always could order some Australian router bits.
Tom Plamann

very funny ;)
Coriolis effect at work. :P

But since we mount the router on the top of the table and feed from underneath his problem will remain...
Greg
If you swap the brushes on a universal motor it will run in the opposite direction. Did you get the connections to the brushes reversed?
Art

It's not backwards, you are just using it upside down.
-Jack

I had a friend in college who honestly thought that if you took a threaded rod which was a right hand thread, and turned it end for end, it would become a left hand thread. We were engineering majors. He became an engineer and I didn't.
Bejay

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:23:30 -0800, "Bob Jones"

Woe to us all.
Prof in Fluids lab asked a mechanical engineer hopeful to turn off the valve for the water inlet and he tried unsuccessfully to turn it counterclockwise and then mouthed to himself "Clockwise, clockwise, ..". Don't know whether he made it.
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:23:30 -0800, "Bob Jones"

all this after a conversation I had with a co-worker about engineers/architects being paid to much to make fools of themselves. (brought on when he said a double LVL couldn't support a 6ft block wall with Columns spaced every 5 ft. or so.)
--

"Bob Jones" <bob=and= snipped-for-privacy@intergate.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...
On a universal motor you revers the rotation by rotating the plate that holds the brushes. I suspect you or someone else had it apart and put the brush holer plate 180 deg out.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:17:32 -0500, Bill Rittner wrote:

Had a pool pump timer that started running in reverse, and nobody touched the damn thing (unless someone snuck in during the night for a practical joke). The home warranty guys said "yeah, sure" until they came out, looked, farted around with it and finally replaced it.
--
-Doug

It could have been a joker. If it had a shaded pole motor, which is common, they can be reversed by pulling the rotor housing out of the coil/pole assembly and putting it back in from the reverse side.
Alternatively if it had a synchronous motor, there's a little flapper of plastic inside the rotor housing that sets the rotation direction at start-up. If that breaks it will start with random rotation direction.
Art

I can't help but wonder why it took 7 messages before some one tried to answer the question for the guy.
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:17:32 -0500, "Bill Rittner"

My e-mail address is real. Feel free to use it. I know how to delete spam.

Don't look at me....I always go straight to the source....except in this case he was looking for help in the wrong direction....
Sorry, I'll get my coat.
--
Jon Down

A good chance that the brush connections are just the wrong way round, swap them over & you will probably find it is back to normal, it was probably taken apart by someone who did not know what they were doing (before you???), alternately trace the brush lead wires to their source & switch them over there if you can, it might save you taking the whole thing apart. I have seen that many times over the years especially with miter saws, circular saws & routers LOL.
--
Jon Down
What he said.

Turn it over!
ToolMiser wrote:

There's a simple explanation -- it's a BLACK MARKET router!
(you use it _under_ the table.) <groan>