Router Template guides

looking for some insight.....

I am building some boxes for xmas gifts -- these variety will be routed out of a single block of wood. I created templates out of some 1/4" ply scrap and proceeded to grab my template guides

. My plan was to use a 1/2" router bit in multiple steps to hollow out the box. When I found the right template I found that it was

5/16" tall -- not an option when working with 1/4" ply wood. Then I checked the rest of the template guides and noted their heights. I found myself wondering if I was missing something -- there seems to be a method to the maddness in terms of guide height and diameter, but a few of them do not make sense -- why is the 1" outside diameter guide is 3/8" tall when the 51/64" guide is 9/16" tall........

Are there specific uses for each of these guides that would demand a specific height ? Any thoughts on whether it would be unwise to modify the template -- a belt sander comes to mind -- to a height that would make sense in my application ? I could remake the ply templates, but I have a bunch of the 1/4" scrap that is perfect of this use

Cheers

Reply to
Sam the Cat

I have what is probably the same set from a different vendor. I've noticed the same thing. I modified mine for use with 1/4" template stock and never regretted it. if for some reason I someday need them to be longer I'll get another set.

Reply to
bridger

I use a lot of 1/4 for templets also. I found some at Pricecutter with .234" berrels. They are $29.99 for a set of 10.

Jody

I'm with Bridger. Cut it off!

I once built a template out of 3/4" MDF to allow me to use one of my template guides. Then I realized it was ludicrous to give up a full 1/2" of depth because of a long sleeve on a template guide, so I cut it off with a hack saw and used a mill file to clean up the cut. I never regretted it. I read somewhere (a book on routers I think) that its a never ending quest to find the right template guide to do the job and the long sleeves cannot be justified. I cannot fathom any need for using material thicker than 1/4" to make a router template and I think they all should have sleeves cut to work with it.

By the way, the only difficulty I have with the short length is that its hard to tighten the guide. I found that I could use a small strip of fine sandpaper to get a better grip on the guide. I think the guides would benefit from some kind of specialized spanner wrench to make it easy to tighten them.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Jody

Many thanks for the Link -- Just what I need

Cheers

> y=2&SID=) . My plan was to use a 1/2" router bit in multiple steps to

Reply to
Sam the Cat

I think woodcraft has exactly what you are looking for right now and on sale at 50% off.

10 pc set for 15 bux.
Reply to
Rob V

I bought the woodcraft set today and guess what - with one of the bushings, one of the lock nuts can be gently pushed all the way in - no turning on the thread! Obviously the diameter of this errant bushing is less than what it ought to be. Wonder what the quality control at woodcraft is all about. Shudder to think what would happen to me while routing with such a set...I will probably return it and spend a bit more money on a better set elsewhere.

Coming to think of it, I bought a whole bunch of router bits at Woodcraft last week at their 50% off sale. I am shuddering now...

Ram

Did the samw thing - that's why god invented hack saws! Just cut the thing down to size.

Reply to
jev