Router technique help.

Hello, Would like recommendations for books or other publications that would be helpful in learning to properly use a router with a fence and router table. I am new to using routers for all but the most basic uses such as hinge mortising or putting a decorative edge on a wooden plaque.

My immediate interest is making raised and flat panel doors.

TIA, Gary K.

Reply to
videoguy

I know that alot of posters here don't like the Router Workshop (PBS if you can get it), probably because it's a relatively low budget home grown show that doesn't seem to actually show you how they finish a project. The editing certainly leaves a lot to be desired. Having said that---

It's one of the better shows on router work you will ever see. If you want to see Norm start and finish something in under a 1/2 hour, watch New Yankee Workshop. It's a very interesting show, but he seems to gloss over the set ups and procedures.

If you want to learn router use and jig/fixture arrangements, watch Router Workshop. While you will not be impressed with the stuff being made - be impressed with the howto using simple setups, routers and the explanations.

I have taken ideas and built more jigs and fixtures from this show than any other. This show isn't about the project, it's about the tool being used.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

All you need is right here.

Joe

Lots of books available. Examples from my library are:

Router Magic by Bill Hylton (excellent for jigs, fixtures and tips) Router Joinery by Gary Rogowski Router Joinery Workshop by Carol Reed Router Tips & Techniques by Bob Wearing Router (the best tips from 25 years of Fine Woodworking)

I have done reviews of one or two of the above books for Canadian Woodworking, and will eventually post them on

My personal favourites are Router Magic and Router Joinery.

The Woodshop Video Series by Fine Woodworking has one video called 'Versatile Router' that you may want to try. I reviewed two of their videos on the site.

Michel

Wood Portal

Reply to
Michel