Router table top

"May-Brith Nilsen" wrote in news:452de471$ snipped-for-privacy@news.broadpark.no:

When I use MDF for jigs I finish them with shellac followed by paste wax. For MDF shop cabinets I prime them with an oil-based primer followed by a coat or two of spray enamel. I have used polyurethane varnish on MDF (several coats) with good results too. Hank from NY

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

I went to Home Depot, Found some tile board (used for tub and shower enclosures) Very smooth and slick, Like $9.00 for a 4x8 sheet. Lamed it on the table top..and Viola A great router table is born.

byefernow

Reply to
Buffalo

That stuff's great for protecting a bench during glue-up and finishing, as well!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Probably for about the same reason I paint my shop-built stuff purple. It's so ugly that no one is tempted to borrow it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I followed the path of least resistance, using a sink cutout in laminate. It worked, but clamping guide boards was a pain, because the textured surface was slippery (as other posters have noted).

So, I coarse-sanded it to give it some tooth. A C-clamp (aka G-cramp) now holds a fence on just fine.

So, if I used MDF, I'd finish the top with PVA adhesive, at least around the edges. But I've also glued sandpaper onto jig surfaces...

--- yet another weekend woodwright

Reply to
whit3rd