Router table top

Getting ready to buy the laminate for the top and fence. Any reason to not buy white? Been wondering about glare. 'Course any color even close to wood is out. Thanks for ya'll's input.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Mine is forest green, mostly because it was the only laminate with a mirror finish, instead of the more common textured finish.

DJ Delorie

White will show up scratches ect.

How about Black?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Black will show up scratches more than white. With that in mind, buy the stuff on price and colors that grab your fancy. Mines yellow and the scratches merely mean I use it.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Mine's white, with sort of a mottled/marbled 70's gold pattern. I think it's the perfect color, because that's the scrap of countertop I happened to find on the curb when I was ready to build my router table. I've never had a problem with glare off the router table. For routing, I would think that light from above or behind the operator would be more appropriate than a raking light in front of the operator.

I think flatness and smoothness are a lot more important than color. That said, if I had the choice, I'd generally pick light-colored things to reflect more light and make the shop seem brighter. One other consideration - have you looked at UHMW (HDPE) sheets for the face of your fence? Easy to machine, and it will reduce friction. Don't worry, it IS available in different colors, if that's your main priority. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Wed, Oct 11, 2006, 8:05pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@moment.net (Rick=A0Samuel) doth burbleth: 'Course any color even close to wood is out.

To put it politely, bullshit. Every router table I've made so far has had a wood top, probably any future ones will also.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

"Rick Samuel" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews4.newsguy.com:

Solid, non-metallic colors are likely to be good choices. My metallic table saw top reflects the sun quite well directly into my eyes so I put a board on the part I'm not using. The one I usually use has a white top, and cuts down on the glare tremendously.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I followed Pat Warner's advice and made my router table top out of mdf and just soaked it in Watco. It works great and wears very well. You might consider that if you have some Watco on hand and don't want to mess with buying and gluing laminate.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wells

If there is one in your area, you might want to talk to a countertop place and see if they've got any scraps they'll give you. I got the laminate for my router table top for free that way.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Hey.

I have made my router table top of MDF. What should I treat it with? Enamel paint, wax? Any suggestion?

May-Brith from Norway.

Reply to
May-Brith Nilsen

they had. The texture reduced friction when sliding the wood across it.

I also thought it looked pretty cool.

gkemper

You don't _like_ white would be one reason.

Reply to
B A R R Y

It's worse.

Mine is black, 'cause I had free black laminate. White (as is my tablesaw outfeed) is usually cheaper, looks fine when paste waxed for lubrication purposes, reflects the shop light, and is easy to pencil notes, stop marks, and indexes on.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thu, Oct 12, 2006, 8:45am (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@losmail.no (May-Brith=A0Nilsen) doth queryeth: Hey. I have made my router table top of MDF. What should I treat it with? Enamel paint, wax? Any suggestion?

Personally, I'd say go with whichever pleases you - it's your router table, you made it, the only one whose opinion counts is you. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about the way it's fiished.

Mine is made out of some rather ice plywood. I don't have any finish on it at all. But if I were to put a finish on it, I'd probably go with paste wax. Or, if I thought it would work better painted, I'd paint it in a heartbeat - probably yellow.

"J T" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3332.bay.webtv.net... Thu, Oct 12, 2006, 8:45am (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@losmail.no (May-Brith Nilsen) doth queryeth: Hey. I have made my router table top of MDF. What should I treat it with? Enamel paint, wax? Any suggestion?

Personally, I'd say go with whichever pleases you - it's your router table, you made it, the only one whose opinion counts is you. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about the way it's fiished.

Mine is made out of some rather ice plywood. I don't have any finish on it at all. But if I were to put a finish on it, I'd probably go with paste wax. Or, if I thought it would work better painted, I'd paint it in a heartbeat - probably yellow.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

It was more a question on what is smooth and durable enough.

May-Brith from Norway

Reply to
May-Brith Nilsen

I have shop-envy!!! That's a great workspace! :-)

JJ

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
JJ

Any light color - light grey - off white - what's free or in your stock - what's on sale - a remnant for free - MDF, MDO, plywood, melemine, I don't thinks it matter's much. The most important factor is initial flatness and it's ability to stay that way.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

I also went with a lightly textured formica. It definately cuts down the friction and makes wood move across it more smoothly.

Reply to
todd1814

Thu, Oct 12, 2006, 4:39pm (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@losmail.no (May-Brith=A0Nilsen) doth sayeth: It was more a question on what is smooth and durable enough.

Ah. OK, in that case my previous router table top was unfinished, no wax, nothing, and served well for maybe 5 years. I made the present top not so long ago, only because of changineg needs, not because of any problem with durability or smoothness. It's unfinished plywood, and will stay that way. I have had no pblems with smoothness or durability on my previous top, and anticipae none on this top..

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Go with whatever YOU like, I favour off-white if possible, but light colours are easier to live with. Nice off cut of Trespa solid Labtop works well for me!

Reply to
badger.badger