Router table plans...

Page 1 of 2
Can someone recommend a source of plans for a _good_ router table? I'm totally fed up with the cheapie metal stamped one I have now and I'd like to build a good one.
tnx.

A while ago I posted pics of the table that I designed and built. You can see it at http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/archive?scan=al+reid+router+table&anz &dir=1 .
If you use AutoCAD, I could email you the plans.
--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
How elaborate do you want to get? The one here is about as basic as can be, and, if you've watched the boys, undeniably useful. http://www.oak-park.com /

snipped-for-privacy@deltasoft.com (Gene) wrote in

Google the archives for AURT or An Ultimate Router Table. That project was great in itself, but also started a minor landslide of "well, I did mine like this" posts. Built by the fellow with Delta gray speckles on his workboots, over there by the stack of old tools documentation.
Or almost any of the better ww magazines have had articles in the past two years. The one I liked best was, unfortunately, in Woodwork, which has no online presence...
Patriarch
The new Norm Abrams router table is improved. You can order a plan from the NYW web site. I made one, but hand cut all the dovetails, used recycled pallet wood for the drawer fronts, and turned several dogwood knobs. It looks nice enough for the living room!
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:48:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@deltasoft.com (Gene) wrote:

(Gene) wrote:

I am currently making Norm's router station. I am about half done. So far I find the plan to be excellent.
Dick Snyder

Could you speed it up? Norm is waiting for you to finish it as he has a lot of work to do.
I was wanting to buy a phenolic table top and build everything underneath. What size table top would I need to go on top on Norm's design? The web page says 36" by 26".
Norm's table is a wee bit oversize and after having built it, I found that you will need to build your top, cause nobody makes a 36" wide top that I can find.
It would appear that 32" is the magic number, as well as the max.
I would buy the top and "then" build the bottom.
Never Enough Money wrote:

Years ago, I built a kitchen cart with a butcher block top, 24"x36". We moved a couple times, and I took the cart apart and kept the butcher block. Later, I built the NYWS router table, adapting it to use the butcher block, with T-track attached to hold down the fence. It has worked great, and garnered many compliments. Go for it - be adaptable.
Steve

snipped-for-privacy@deltasoft.com says...

IMNSHO, the best router table is one that replaces a wing on your table saw.
Think about it. The space, the stability, no need to store it away, use your rip fence, etc..
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

If you have the space a dedicated router table is the way to go IMO. The problem I have w/ it in the saw is when I route long peices - i like to support both in and out feed - Im not the tallest guy in the world so supporting the outfeed is a PITA. The good thing about a router table is stock going right to left allows good support on both sides of the bit. (Again IMO)
good luck.
BTW - norms plans are good - but if you look at it - and the others on the net for free - you can come up w/ what will work best for you.
says...

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:06:38 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Except for the total lack of chip collection, loss of space under the wing, and giving up the ability to leave both setups untouched.
If space is tight, it's great, otherwise, I've got the tee-shirt and bumper sticker from that place. <G>
Barry
Please_keep_it_in_the snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Well, since my rip fence is homemade, chip collection could be easily added - I haven't yet.
The space is available when I'm not routing - I don't leave the router itself there. Of course, I have to move what I store there when I put in the router.
I agree with you on the ability to leave both saw and router set up. But my space is, as you mention, tight and I don't use the router all that often.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:09:07 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Don't rush. Even with a DC or vacuum connection to the fence, plenty of trash goes out the bottom, especially with large bits. With a large bit and the vacuum running, I was still able to make about a 20 foot circle of chips! <G>
I had thought of building an MDF enclosure for underneath, but when airflow and chip removal was considered, building a whole table was just as easy.
With space at a premium, a box underneath and chip removal via the box would work for the wing. The airflow down through the box would keep the motor cool as it removed the waste.

Another reason I gave up on the wing was surface height. I'm 6'1", and a taller table is much easier on the back. My shop made table is 5 inches taller than my saw surface.
However, tight space is tight space!
Barry
Here is nice table:
http://www.ronan.net/~woodwork/router.htm
and it even has pitchers....
Gene wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@deltasoft.com (Gene) writes:

I didn't use plans, but it's easy enough to figure it out from the pictures: http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/router /
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:48:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@deltasoft.com (Gene) wrote:

I'm happy with my shop made version. It's simply an MDF box with a double thickness top.
<
http://www.bburke.com/wood/images/routertable2.jpg
I can pass along measurements if you need them, but I don't haven plans.
Why not design your own? Simply start with a table height that's best for you, and work from there. Building your own stuff from scratch can be quite rewarding.
Barry
My MDO box is stored under my JET belt/disc sander. It's got a bottom designed to be clamped into a Workmate, and the height to match.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:48:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@deltasoft.com (Gene) wrote:

I built the one in FWW about Apr/May 2004, at least in a preliminary form, the bells and whistles get added later. It works great and cost me about $25-30 plus a few scrap offcuts of MDF. The most expensive part was $5 for a lump of 9mm acrylic.
Your library should have the magazine.
Barry Lennox