router table fences

I'm considering a new router-table fence setup and am looking for recommendations. This is for home renovation and hobby work, but I figure if I buy one it should probably be a really good one. The Rockler looks good but the Incras sound fantastic. Opinions on these or others?

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Press

I've got an Ultra 24 with the Wonderfence. I found it simple to setup, precise and fast to make adjustments & bit/cut changes. The two POS parts of the system are the plastic DC outlet on the fence and the sliding dust shields over the bit opening. I have not used the tall fence extension for standing panel cuts - it's a bit less slick than the rest of the system. For the cabinet making I do, I could have gotten away with a lot less fence.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Incra is fantastic. Get it from Woodpeckers (woodpeck.com) or somewhere else if you find a better price. I bought the Twin Linear from them and I love it.

The only caveat is that the fences take up more space than another fence because of the adjuster bar, so make sure your table is big enough. How big depends on the fence you buy, go to Incra.com and look at the product manuals, they spell out the recommended table size.

Reply to
gabriel

Incra Wonder Fence Review:

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Veritas Shelf Drilling Jig

- Ryobi CID1802V 18v Cordless Drill

- Workshop Essentials Under $30

- Festool PS 300 Jigsaws

- Delta Universal Tenoning Jig

SawEyes

Michael,

Before you spend some big bucks on some less than satisfactory solution, take a look here first for an idea.

Warner did an article about two years ago for FWW where this fence was a project you could build from the article. Not quite but it was easy enough to figure out how to make the precision cuts for the aluminum sliders etc. after an email or two with Pat. He was very helpful with that and I subsequently ordered several of his books and router accessories.

Pat also sells these fences as you'll note on his site but you can make one if you're willing to take the time to do it right so the precision is there. There's more to it than meets the eye and even Pat will be the first one to tell you, a straight board can be used for a router fence. But if you want to make repeatable cuts with .001 accuracy, his design can do that and then some.

It is a bit of work but it was a very interesting challenge too. I learned a lot just making that fence - and I made several variations incorporating some modifications to suit my needs. I've looked at other router fences and toyed with some at the stores but none that I had my hands on were as accurate or had the stability of the one I built using Pat's design. It's obvious he has put a lot of thought into it and in my estimation, it is a hard one to beat. The 5 layers make a big difference - no flexing, rock solid and dial indicator accuracy.

I haven't checked lately but FWW site used to have the link to the pages for that article and part numbers and suppliers. If it's not available any longer, you may want to ping Pat. I would highly advise getting one of his books also - great read and lot's of good tips. Pat hangs out here once in awhile and offers up some advice.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I looked at both Incras and Jointech. I saw a demo of both at a WW show and went with Jointech. Both are very nice.

Mike Coonrod

Michael Press wrote:

Reply to
Mike Coonrod

Reply to
Michael Press

I've never heard of the Jointech. Unfortunately having now read their website I'll have a hard time considering it, with spam-like text such as " If your (sic) looking to purchase a Top-Of-The-Line Router Fence

- SmartFence is the one".

Reply to
Michael Press

I've got the Incra Ultra and when I use it it is fantastic. However, that is when I use it. 90% of the time I find myself just clamping a straight edged board to the table and using that as a fence.

Note, I don't leave the Incra set up because I have a false top on the table and use it as an additional work surface. There is never any such thing as too much work surface.

Reply to
Mike G

Michael, I too have the Twin Linear from Woodpeckers. It's fine, but bear in mind it isn't a shrinking violet! You need a deep table to hold it. I got a table from them and wish it had more surface area by the router end. I also wish the table were wider. (I've always got tool "wishes"). Getting back to the TL: it's well made and if precision is your bag it's got that with a micrometer adjuster for the depth and another micrometer adjuster for the offset.

dave

Michael Press wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

So the web page person doesn't spell very well. Their design, engineering and manufacturing people, as well as their customer service folks are great/pros/good people. They're out of San Antonia, the inventor/founder escaped there from Silly Cone Valley where he was a Lockheed Missiles and Space engineer. The JoinTech precision positioning fence system has been around for over 20 years and rather than spend money on gold anodizing they put those bucks into hardened steel where that's needed and precision threads where that's needed and ... No plastic or nylon to wear out a year or two down the line. This is an extremely well thought out system that works very very well. Little things like easily removable/ swappable zero clearance inserts that you can get more of any time you need them, the infeed and outfeed fences can be moved independently in 1/32 or it could be 1/64 inch increments, horizontal openings on the bottom of the hollow, dust collecting fence to suck up the crap that shoots out the end of a cut, inscibed on top and underneath the cross hair to eliminate parallax ...

The base for the back of the positioning mechanism can be moved back to increase the capacity of the system when needed and moved back to normal mode when not needed. The table top doesn't have to accomodate the whole range of movement by itself, thus wasting precious shop space when not in use.

For fun look at the extrusion that the positioning mechanism of the Incra at

then, in another window look at the JoinTech extrusion

Put the JoinTech back on your list, check it out some more and seriously consider their Cabinet Maker System. I've had one for close to 3 years. It was the second equiptment purchase I made. The first was a Robland X31 combination machine. Next to the X31's table saw it's the most used tool in the shop.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Make them. Make a table with screw inserts or the like in it, and have a range of fences that can easily be installed.

I have an Incra Ultra, but I rarely use it (expensive too - wouldn't buy another). Most of the time I use a home-made MDF L-girder box which is taller, has sliding false fences to give good support right up to the cutter and has dust extract.

If I had the money for the Incra again, I'd buy a Woodrat.

-- Inbreeding - nature's way of always giving you enough fingers to count your cousins

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I use the Lee Valley router fence on a home-made router table. Simple and it works well. They also have a right-angle sled for it.

Michel

MJT

If the words turn you off, so be it. I know the product and it works great. As I stated before, both are nice products but the jointech got my money based on the operational demo and IMO, is built better. It is also easier to setup.

Michael Press wrote:

Reply to
Mike Coonrod