Router table featherboard technique

Maybe a newbie question on using featherboards with a router table: Should featherboards (horizontal or vertical) be located on the infeed side, the outfeed side, or even aligned with the cutterhead? I'm just not sure if the "infeed only" rule for tablesaw featherboards carries over to router tables.
Cheers, Wayne
It depends on the cut. If the fence support the work piece before and after the cut (which is true for most of the cuts I make) then it doesn't really matter. I ussually put one bofore and one after.
Joe in Denver my woodworking website: http://www.the-wildings.com/shop /

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:18:30 -0700, "Joe Wilding"

Really depends on the cut I am doing....
HOWEVER I normally place the featherbord (the one located on the table itself just ahead of the bit... to hold the workpiece against the fence ..The featherborrd that is attached to the fence usually stradles the bit some before some after...this keeps the workpiece held down flat...
Bob Griffiths
The "Infeed Only" rule for tablesaws is to prevent kickback. A featherboard for a table saw on the outfeed side would force the offcut back into the blade, causing it to bind and then be launched back at you. think of the rotation of the blade in slow motion and it makes sense.
Not a problem for the Y-axis rotation of a router bit. Use Featherboards wherever feels safe.
I place mine by the cutter. I don't want the board coming away from the fence on the outfeed side, as that will reduce depth of cut just as if the board was held away from the infeed side. I sometimes use another featherboard over the cutter.
Dave
Wayne Whitney wrote:

Sounds like the consensus is that for edging or grooving operations using the fence on a router table, it is safe to use a featherboard anywhere on the table and anywhere on the fence. Agreed?
Thanks, Wayne

Safety is only one concern. I setup featherboards, rollers or other devices to accomplish consistant, accurate cutting and ease of processing the material.
Dave