Router Table Advice

A while ago I asked the rec about router table vs jointer and after much deliberation went with the router table idea. Santa (SWMBO) has already purchased Hitachi 12V at hot steaming price of $135, adding to two random adjustable Crapsman routers. Now...
I saw the Sommerfeld "road show"in Philadelphia and was impressed with their system. Like the solid phenolic table, pivoting fence, and router raizer.
Alternative Lee Valley Veritas steel table, fence, jack, sled, etc.
Not sure I want MDF or Melamine; that's why I liked the shaper idea of cast iron for stability and accuracy. But I certainly could do a "Nahm" cabinet or the like.
Any suggestions & experiences would be greatly appreciated ... I have to get Santa busy again.
Jerry
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:22:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gemtechservice.com (Jerry McCaffrey) wrote:

I have a page on my website dealing with router table/table router philosophy that you may find useful. You have already met my standard for the best table router.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

I guess I don't understand the tradeoff. Jointing operations on a router table are severely limitting. Why wouldn't you want both?
Brian.

$$$$$$ :)
Jerry
don't understand the tradeoff. Jointing operations on a router

Fair enough. :)
Brian.
I've got the whole Veritas system and love it. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong.
Jim in Milwaukee
Jerry McCaffrey wrote:

All I can say is I built Norm's plan (the older one, he now has a new one) and the table works like a dream, especially the fence design and dust collection. He specified 1 inch melamine for the top; it was a PITA to find and I wasted a lot of time looking for it, and I think if I had to do it over I would laminate two pieces of 3/4 cab grade plywood, and put my own formica top on. If you do use melamine, be sure to seal the underside with some poly to keep the bottom from absorbing moisture/humidity. I chose to make regular drawers rather than the storage drawers in the plan, and I like it that way better. I also hinged the door, he had it in slots in the old plan, and in the new I think he hinged it as well. Good luck.