Router Table

I am shopping for a router table. The BenchDog Contracter model seems attractive because it sits on top of a bench and can be put away.

Are any other brands really superior? I'll be doing some sheet work, and doing raised panel doors for cabinets.

I have another machine called a WoodRat for doing joints such as dovetails, tenons and mortising work.

Gary Curtis Los Angeles

Reply to
extiger

Make your own.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

I have and like my Bench Dog, but I question your choice of contractor model. Using a contractor model and making raised panels just does not seem to be the best solution. You also mention sheet goods. How big? It is a 24 x 16 top whereas the full top is 32 x 24. I'd opt for the longest fence and widest table I could handle. But that is just me.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I am interested in the contractor model (bench-top) in order to save shoproom space. My shop is under construction, and I see other guys wiggling like sardines just to manuever through equipment standing on the floor.

After it is used, the bench-top can be stowed on a shelf, or hung on wall bracket.

When I say sheet goods, I wouldn't be routing a whole 4x8 panel in one shot. Small pieces. Probably the largest at 16x24, same size as the table top.

My question comes up because I see equipment with digital height gauges and micrometer fences. A few people I know spent $1000 on their router set-up, not including the router itself.

What's up with all that? The BenchDog (small one) comes in at $239. Their split fence with T-slot channels looks sophisticated.

Gary C.

Reply to
extiger

Edwin,

The first part of your response got cut off. I'd be interested to read your full message about BenchDogs.

Gary C.

Reply to
extiger

I built mine in under 8 hours, using a Rousseau plate, MDF, Formica, some scrap ash, and biscuits. The fence was a gift, and is not really required. Shop made fences are fine.

MDF is heavy (good)

Rousseau plates are cheap (good)

Practice and experience (good)

A bench mounted version would be even easier to build.

Why buy?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I have the big sucker and I use it with small to medium size piece. The t-slot and split fence are great and I have mine connected to my dc....sucks all the chips down and out throught the dc. I know space problems, but if you plan on using the router/table much, treat it like any other floor tool....you'll be more at ease and do better work. I had my old one part of my table saw and for the amount of floor space it takes, I'll never go back to the old way.

Reply to
John "The Toymaker" Gilham

I weighed the pros/cons of making my own against commercial. I was really drawn to the designs of the Veritas router table system, especially the fence system. I bought the fence, router table top, and sled and built the stand myself from plans in their manual. Its not for everyone, but I am very pleased. Their fence with sled seems to have more tricks than other fence systems I've looked at. The table top is probably as strong as anything out there, since its solid 3/16" steel.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Bob,

The Veritas equipment is actually about 20% less than competitors. How does the steel table mount to the base or legs? And how does a miter guide move across the top without T tracks in the top? And how is the noise (because of the steel)?

The top is fairly small. Does that cramp your work in any way? (I've run out of questions.....grunt!)

Gary C.

Reply to
extiger

Hey Bob, I've got the Veritas router system on my wishlist, but I was wondering about the sled. Looking at it, how well does the sled maintain its 90° position against the fence? Visually anyway, it appears prone to skewing rather easily.

Reply to
Upscale

If you look at the 'tech' instructions online when viewing the table, you can see that it has four threaded bolts for mounting welded to the underside.

Reply to
Upscale

The top has some studs built in to the underside. Per instructions, I bolted some boards to the underside which act to prevent the table from sliding around. The top sits on top of a shop-built stand using the weight of the table+router to keep it stable. It seems to work well.

The right angle sled is attached to the fence for cross routing. I think the fence made by Mast-r-lift works the same way. The fence and sled are very robust. The sled has adjustable bolts with nylon tips that limit vertical and horizontal play between the sled and the fence. I would guess these will wear over time, but they can easily be adjusted to take up any wear. In practice, there's no discernable wiggle between fence and sled. Its a very stable set up.

Yes, the top is relatively small (16 x 24). The fence has adjustable clamps so that it can be attached in any direction. For cross routing, the fence is mounted front to back, instead of side to side. This makes the table size much more effective. If I ever have a need for a bigger surface, I guess I'll add some side supports, like the wings on a table saw. But for my applications I have not found it to be limiting yet. What's really important is how rigid and flat the fence-table top combination is. I think the veritas setup is as good or better than anything out there in this regard.

Routing is loud anyway and I wear hearing protection, so I have not evaluated the noise factor.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I wondered the same thing (looking at the pictures). I bought it with full faith that its returnable. The fence and sled are "big as your wrist" sturdy. I'm very satisifed with the stability. I think its more rigid than a miter track.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I backed into buying the whole system. Originally I was just going to buy a sturdy bench dog metal insert to mount the router in a shop built table. So I was looking at about $80. Then I looked at labor and materials added and it was within striking distance of the Veritas router table top. So I bought it. Well, Lee Valley includes a video of their whole system with the table top. After I saw what all the fence/sled did, I had to have it. Lee Valley allowed me to purchase the additional items and still get the package price ($324). The attributes of the fence are really not apparent on line or when looking at their manuals.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

If there's not too much to list, what extra qualities does the video show in regards to the fence and sled? I'm gung ho on most of it, but I'm still trying to imagine what the sled can do aside from stuff like box joints.

Reply to
Upscale

A whole 3/16"!!! ? :) FWIW, I've bent steel that thick -by accident- at work :). OTOH, I've not known Veritas to make a shoddy prduct, so I'm sure it's all right- just sounded hilarious to me (ever lifted up a 24' length of 3/16" thick steel? It's about as sturdy as a spagetti noodle!)

At any rate, for the OP- Consider making your own, with a fold-up top. Make two "legs" out of 3/4" ply that are connected to the wall studs with piano hinges, and a fold-down top that secures to the wall when not in use. You'll not only save space and money, but you'll still have most of the benefits of a full-size router table as well. That'd be my vote anyhow.

Reply to
Prometheus

I also have the LV system with a Hitachi M12V mounted under it. Built a frame out of old oak flooring for the top to rest on & tip up for access. Dust collection out the back is acceptable with the LV magnetic hood & a small shop vac. Just vac below the frame at end of day for drop thru. Magnetic feather boards from TS work on this top & with cross slide you don't have to worry about fence parallel to Tslot. Table is sure strong & flat. Router mounting is good for quick removal, but you must make sure it is tightened back in properly or you get "random height adjustment." DAMHKT.

Sure I'd like table bigger but it's been fine for most tasks. Only modification needed has been adding a table on top to pick up depth for horizontal panel raising bit which won't retract far enough into the router with the Hitachi "bushing ears" on. That concept of a covering table butting the fence could probably be used to extend size of the small steel table when needed.

Has anyone used the "bit-jack" attachment for height adjustment? Looks interesting and reasonable in price.

Jerry

Reply to
simoogle

=================== I have and use the small Benchdog Router table... (in addition to a router set in my tablesaws extention table, a overhead "pin" router and a horizointal router table... all with dedicated routers ...

Honestly the Benchdog is a top notch table... BUT I do not think you will be hanging it on the wall.... on a shelf or under the workbench maybe but not on the wall....

I understand you point about the sardines...because after 40 years as a serious woodworker my shop is way over crowded... lol...happens its just a matter of time....LOL...

As for digital height guages micrometer fences, router lifts etc..

I Ain't got none..

And have no real need ...or desire,.. for them...

IF I had the space...and IF I were "buying" rather then making a New Router table I would be looking at a table that held two routers and had a pretty large table area...

Lots of luck.... all I can say is I absolutely love my Benchdog which I purchased to do just one job for my daughter out of state...worked so well it now is my primary router table in the shop... and yes I did have to make room for it...

Bob G..

Reply to
Bob G.

I can't see buying a router table that comes with a factory warp.

Reply to
CW

That's why it comes pre warped.

Reply to